• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Elderly Bunny

Tabbymilly

New Kit
My darling Elmo is over 13yrs old and really starting to show his age bless him, he's back legs aren't as strong and i'm sure he must have arthritus, sometimes he flops over to his side and stays there looking as if he's saying "I meant to do that!!" he was in a hutch with a large run underneath but was having trouble with the ramp so i've bought him inside in a X-large dog cage with his missus Flo. Of course i want to do the very best for my old boy but i'm worried a trip to the vets will be too stressful for him, so any advice would be most welcome, also what would would be the best bedding for him?

He may well benefit from an anti-inflammatory if he does have some arthritic pain. This would require a Vet consult. Does your Vet do home visits?

He will need bedding that cant get tangled up around his back legs. So longcut hay/straw is best avoided. I use Vetbed or towels as bedding for my oldie/wobbly Bunnies.

I would have a chat with your Vet re the possibility of arthritis and see if the Vet can do a home visit to assess Elmo

:)

I had an elderley house rabbit. I found that puppy training pads also came in useful in case he didn't wee in his litter tray as they kept him clean. Anti inflamatry medicine might be good for him.

hi if he does have athritus..adn its likely then try some glucosamine sprinkled on his food 13 is a very good age you can try pming my mum sdf76 but her eldest bun is 10yrs. i agree with jane though no tangly bedding but shorter hay would be ok or soft towels and vet bed. how is he coping inside? some buns seem to love it and others prefer outdoors warmtth will help his joints too. is his partner an older bun too? bles sthem.. you could take to vets for some metacam after initial consult vet should be able to give you a prescription so that should he need it you could colelct it this is a pain relief but i would pop to vets anyway just in case there is an underlying cause apart from old age for his rolling over etc if its something new x

Thanks so much, i've just ordered 2 vet beds, and got some puppy training pads to put on top of the towels i've got in the cage. he's eating and drinking so i'll see how he goes if it continues i'll take him to the vets tomorrow, his missus is only 3yrs old but they are devoted to each other, I think to be honest they'll be staying inside now, he's a feisty bunny so hopefully he'll pull through - thanks again

Back