• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Vets tomorrow

Vegan_Bunny

Warren Veteran
Hi i'm taking my bun to get his first myxi jab. I just wanted some advice, like what i should watch out for when the vet administers it. I think i read somewhere they need to administer it a certain way so it gets round the body.

I also want a full health check so i'm going to ask the vet to check his teeth, ears etc but is there anything you would advise me to get specifically checked?

I want to make sure the vet knows what he/she is doing and if he/she doesn't do it right i know it was wrong and can change surgerys or ask for a diff vet next time :)

Thankyou.

Make sure that the vet gives 90% under the skin, and then 10% into the skin. They should also reccomend to come back in 2 weeks for a VHD jab, and NOT give them at the same time. I think a good vet will also reccomend to worm the bun too. :)

If they've anything about them they will do the health check BEFORE the vaccination.... they should never vaccinate an unhealthy animal (immune system shouldn't be overloaded). Even if your bun looks bright they should make sure before the jab, eg listening to heart etc.

For a first health check on a young bunny I would expect them routinely to look at the teeth. My first bunny had incisors that were misaligned so they were able to tell me she was likely to have dental problems at a later stage.

Hope it all goes well.

I was impressed with the vet i saw :) He said he recommended getting the Myxi jab every 6 months and that in 2 weeks he should have his VHD jab. He also did a full health check before he gave him the jab.

He gave me a vaccination card too so i know when i'm due and the dates of his previous jabs.

very happy with it all.

Poor Fiver wasn'ttoo impressed but he was a star the whole way through. He was scared and snuggled right into me afterwards lol.

He is a bit of a wuss :p

Thanx for the advice everybody and i got some panacure. Was wondering how long after the myxi jab i should wait until i worm him.

Back