• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

rabbit got by a fox whats the future hold

bunnyrun

Mama Doe
one of my friends sadly had 1 of her bunnies taken by a fox today:cry::cry: they were being kept in very secure shed, it was broad daylight and somehow the fox got in,she now has a bonded group of 6 who she,s worried that the fox will take 1 by 1, is it true that once a fox knows there are rabbits there it will return :? and does this mean she has to give her bunnies up and never keep rabbits again:cry::cry:

The fox will come back and she needs to work out how it got in so that she can make the shed properly secure.

I think she needs to try and work out how the fox got in. She needs to work on how to protect them. Is she positive it was got by a fox?

I'm so sorry for the poor bunny and your friend :cry: I believe they do keep coming back :( Since I was woken up to see foxes going towards ours, they keep coming back, pooing everywhere. Last Friday one was stood outside the porch giving me and DH the evil stare WHILST 2 dogs were barking like crazy :evil: The urban foxes are far too confident. Is there no way she can find out how it got in? As it will be able to get in tonight too :cry: 6 is a lot to bring in the house but is that possible at all? :(

my friend has bought the bunnies in tonight into her conservatory so at least they are safe but its difficult to know what to do now:?

If it is one of those larch lap type then it's possible for a fox to break in.

My friend kept her 2 chickens in such a shed and a fox actually broke off 4 of the boards to get to the chickens. Killed one of them.

I would never have given this a thought until it happened to my friend, always thought any type of shed would be secure.

Could it have forced its way in through the crack in the door and out again the same way? That way it wouldn't look as if there was any way of it entering.

PS Once she thinks she's secured it, maybe leave raw chicken or similar in there for a few nights to see if it can still get in before putting bunnies out there again...

How awful :( Poor bunny. Glad shes bought the others in for the night, wonder how the fox got in?? I always thought a fox was an opportunatist (sp?) :? :( xXx

Poor bunny and your poor friend :cry: Is there any chance she could take pics of the shed from different angles for us to look at as I have a massive fear of a fox getting my babies and would like to see what the fox got through. I do believe the fox feels hes got "an easy" meal so would come back for a re-sit:(.

Yes the fox will most likely return. I had a couple of ducks taken from a shed once, there was a small bit of damage to one of the shed panels but it was enough for the fox to make a bigger hole from. I see no reason why the bunnies can't go back outside once the housing is more secure. As I always say to people, wildlife rescues manage to keep foxes in so it must therefore be possible to keep them out.

How did the fox get in? Would a simple padlock on a door or bolting on a window cover/using better mesh help?

Back