• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Austin's urine sample!

Hugo's There

Wise Old Thumper
Turned into a disaster :roll::lol:

We were given a cat sample set, which consists of some plastic bead litter, and pipette, the idea being you put the litter into a clean tray, bunny wees, it doesn't get absorbed by the sterile litter so it is sucked up with the pipette.

I must admit I had my doubts when i collected it and have been putting off doing it for the last week. But I gave it a try this morning. Austin had the tray in his cage for approx 2 minutes before there was a frantic phone call to the vets saying my bunny has just eaten a big mouthful of plastic beads :shock:

Thankfully he is none the worse for the experience, but the vet has decided to leave the sample for now and try him on Septrin for 10 days :lol::lol:

Mind you they still charged me for the sample set :?

Oh dear! I did Gregory's samples with no litter, just an empty tray and only had to wait about an hour before he did it. I can't believe they charged you for that!

My vet put a catheter in Willow to get a wee sample.

Oh dear! I did Gregory's samples with no litter, just an empty tray and only had to wait about an hour before he did it. I can't believe they charged you for that!

What was the vet looking for in your wee samples, as I'm not really sure what my vet was really looking for?

What is wrong with Austin?
I suppose they charged for the litter because they can't use it again, especially if its been through a bunny.

:shock: goodness, that must have been nerve wracking!
Must admit a bare litter tray may prove more successful and less stressful! Or in the case of our 5 when you remove the litter tray for cleaning they seem to suddenly all need a wee and wee in the corner where the tray should be :roll: bunnies eh!! :lol:

Oh, so they are looking for glucose in his urine then, or an infection, I guess.
Our vets usually try to express a wee if the bladder feels full, mind you with animals they always go just before you want them to.
Would you be able to put mesh over it to stop them munching?
Hope you get to the bottom of the problem anyway, the worst thing is not knowing, I always feel!

Oh, so they are looking for glucose in his urine then, or an infection, I guess.
Our vets usually try to express a wee if the bladder feels full, mind you with animals they always go just before you want them to.
Hope you get to the bottom of the problem anyway, the worst thing is not knowing, I always feel!

Ha ha yeah - when Gregory went for his tests he weed in his carrier on the way there, then again on the way back but would not wee at the vets!

Hence me having to collect the sample!

Must admit my eyes were :shock: when I saw the syringe, then realised I wouldn't have to take the sample directly from him!

I don't really believe that finding glucose in his urine will actually tell us anything :? thats why I have been questioning getting the sample. Personally I would rather get a mucus/poo sample sent to the lab.

At least he is on antibiotics now so if there is an infection that will cover it :)

What was the vet looking for in your wee samples, as I'm not really sure what my vet was really looking for?

Willows parts had swollen up to the size of conkers:shock::shock::shock::shock:we thought he had been stung but Jane my vet put the cafeter into check he could still wee and to see if there was an infection in his wee.

Willows parts had swollen up to the size of conkers:shock::shock::shock::shock:we thought he had been stung but Jane my vet put the cafeter into check he could still wee and to see if there was an infection in his wee.

Ooh thats sounds nasty, poor Willow :(

:shock: <- was that what state your face was in when you saw him eat a lump of it? Becuase that's how I would have looked! :lol:

Glad to hear he's no worse for the tasting, but I can't believe they made you pay for it, eeks!

Back