• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Baby bun with runny poo (please help!)

I got given a baby bun (approx 7 weeks old) on sunday. I don't know what he was fed on before he came to me, but I've been feeding him a mix of wagg bunny brunch, and wagg optimum, with small amounts of veggies, so he gets used to them. He likes hay, and eats a small amount of it, but not much. He also doesn't drink much, I've tried him with a bowl and a bottle. He also doesn't eat many of his ceaco poops, as I see them littering the hutch all of the time. He doesn't get much of the pellets, about a table spoon full a day, and I think he's a dwarf lop, so he's a fairly big bunny, and much bigger then Pipin is..

I'll be taking him over to the vets tomorro, but I can't get him in any earlier.. Any Ideas whats going on, how I can tell if he's dehydrated and how I can get some more water into him?

Thanks!

If he has runny poo, cut out the veges, and push the hay. I'm presuming a brunch mix has bits and pieces in? Really he needs to be on pellets, not a mix, because they don't have enough fibre in them.

Does he have formed fecals? or is it both cecals and fecals giving you concern?

Has he actually got runny poo or is it just uneaten caecotrophes?

If it is just caecotrophes then i would cut the dried food down. I would also use probiotics in his water or on food to help his guts with the change of diet.

If he actually has runny poo then I would get him to the vets asap as diahorrea can kill young bunnies

I think it's just uneaten ceacals, but they aren't the usual grape shaped poops, they're more just a black soggy mess.. His normal poops are small, hard and black, not at all like Pip's poops, which are golden coloured and crumbly. He's going to the vets tomorrow either way, as I'm not 100% happy he's healthy.

The table spoon full of pellets he gets is about 1/3rd of the Wagg Optimum (which is a complete food, not museli) and 2/3 of the museli..

He also bob's his head about, like he can't see properly, and he's loosing weight. I don't think he's a healthy bun..

Poor guy, he definitely sounds like he needs the vets. The brunch food is not very good for any rabbit, let alone a growing one, so it might be worth phasing that out and replacing it with the better pelleted food.

I'm not entirely sure what you are describing about the head bobbing, however that can be a thing buns do when they are cautious and moving forward towards something they are unsure of. However, you could be describing something that is not that and I might be misunderstanding.

Please let us know how you and he get on at the vets.

I'm not sure about the head bobbing either. He does it quite often, especially when he is about to do something he has to think about, like getting into the litter tray. He's also not very co-ordinated, the other day he tried to binky and just fell over. :(

I've tried to give him a (healthy) treat, and he just kind of shut down, he just laid there stock still. Even though he's used to me feeding him bits of the food. :(

Poor bunny that doesn't sound very good. I really hope the vet can help him.

It is possible that he is not eating his caecotrophs because he can't balance properly to eat them, rather than it being a stomach problem as such

Where did the bunny come from? at 7 weeks he should really be with his mum :(

I'd get some excel junior pellets and some probiotic, cut out the veg completely for a week and start him off with excel junior. Start with a tbs twice a day and bring it up over the week to the recomended amount for his breed. Put probiotic in his water everyday & sprinkle some on the pellets too.

After a week start trying to introduce veggie back, one at a time starting off with a tsp size & increasing the amounts. keep him on that one veggie for at least 3 days till you start trying him on a new one.

All this time make sure he has bags of fresh hay & replace it twice a day. When you've finished the bag of excel junior start moving him onto an adult mix.

He does need to go to the vet though if he can't balance properly...

He came from a "show breeder", and he was a birthday present from my mum.. :oops::oops:

He's bedded on hay, and he has a hayball and a hay rack witch has Exel Forage in, so he has plenty of hay. I made him some "porridge" with hot water and a few pellets, and he wolfed it down, so I've at least got a little bit more water in to him then he usually drinks. He does still seem really young, and it kind of looks like his teeth haven't had any wear to them. :(

The treat I tried to give to him was a Naturals Vegetable Edge, Pip goes mental for them, but he just laid there.. :cry:

The poor little fella :/

I can't offer much advice on this. Perhaps he's losing weight because he's not getting any nutrients by not eating his cecals or that he's selectively eating the museli and not getting the things he needs from it.

I hope the vet can sort him out for you.

You should not feed fresh fruit and veggies until they are at least 6mos. try feeding Old Fashioned oats not quick-oats (they puff up when they are moist).
Try feeding rabbit food with 18% protein that will help him gain weight, here are a few brands. Manna Pro, and Marlette.

Last edited:
I'm just back from the vets, and the vet thins he's got a mild case of gastroenteritus (sp?). He's been given an anti biotic injection, and some pro-biotics (that I had to ask for)..

I've just made him some porridge with water and scottish porridge oats, so I'm waiting for it to cool before I give it to him.

I think he's lost even more weight from last night, as under all of his fur, you can feel his spine and his hip bones. :( I also had to pull dried poop off his bum again today..

Unfortunately the more protein in the food the more cacels he will produce so if he is not eating them this is counterproductive.

I would wait for the vets advice before changing his diet again. He sounds like a very poorly bunny and the vet needs to find the cause of his problems before you try to treat them.

the only thing I would suggest again that is to add probiotics to his food and water. this will certainly do no harm and hopefully will do some good :)

I'm just back from the vets, and the vet thins he's got a mild case of gastroenteritus (sp?). He's been given an anti biotic injection, and some pro-biotics (that I had to ask for)..

I've just made him some porridge with water and scottish porridge oats, so I'm waiting for it to cool before I give it to him.

I think he's lost even more weight from last night, as under all of his fur, you can feel his spine and his hip bones. :( I also had to pull dried poop off his bum again today..

We posted at the same time.

What did the vet say about his lack of balance etc.? If they think is is gastroenteritis surely he must be dehydrated. Did they inject any fluids into him at the vets? Is their mucus in his poo?

There's no mucus in his poo, but they're still very hard, small and dark. He didn't get any fluids given at the vets, but I'm supposed to syringe him the probiotics in water 3 times a day with as much as he'll take.

As for the protien thing, that's what I thought, his sticky bum seems to get worse if I give him anything with over about 12% protien in it, so i got him some Exel Light yesterday, as the Optimum and the bits of SS he's had before have made him poorly.

If his poos are small hard and dark I just don't see how it can be gastroenteritis :?

TBH I would get a second opinion

Hopefully the probiotics will help him :)

I agree with Hugo's there. If it was enteritis you would be seeing full on diarrhoea and no sort of formed fecals. The bun doesn't sound right and I think she does need to see someone else.

Back