• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Difference in Rabbit Care between our countries

Banni Binky

Warren Scout
I was just wondering about a few of the differences in the general care of bunnies between your countries and mine (Australia).

For example, I noticed a few things that occur differently there to Australia. Just out of sheer curiosity I have some questions.

General life span? I've read from various sources that in Australia it is between 6 and 8 years, but in a thread I read bunnies can live up to 14? I want to be able to expect something like that out of Tila, but apparently in Australia his life expectancy seems pretty dismal o_O.

What vaccinations are given and how often? Here, it is a callicivirus vaccination once yearly. Myxi vaccinations are illegal - I have to be extra diligent about protecting Tila from mosqutoes as I have seen wild rabbits/hares in my area.

Is there an age limit for desexing? My vet surgery (I'm not sure about every vet) is either extremely reluctant or will not desex a rabbit, especially a doe, over a year old, as the increase in fat on the abdominal wall at that age apparently causes a lot of complications, not only for them but for bunny, too. Desexing here begins at around 4-5 months.

Legal limit on how many rabbits? Apparently each state in Australia has a legal limit on how many bunnies you can own before a license is needed, and also apparently some states here discourage rabbits as companion animals altogether. o_O. I have never heard it before until now, but I read it somewhere while searching for some information. I haven't seen any other sources to comfirm this, but it would be a nice thing to find out before I get any additions to the family! Is there any limits in your area?

Hello,

General lifespan is usually about 8-12 years with a few living a couple of years longer. My oldest rabbit is 8 and she is still very fit and healthy :)

Vaccinations are calicivirus once a year and myxi every 6 months.

Desexing is usually done around 3-4 months for males and 5-6 months for females. There is not really an upper age limit as long as the rabbit is in good health.

There is no legal limit on how many rabbits you can have, I have 9 :D

Thats the main reason I could never move to OZ - Leaving my buns.

Apparently you cant import rabbits to Australia.

We have myxi jabs (either every 6 months or once per year depending on area) and VHD annual jabs.

Generally I think here in the UK we have a much wider choice of vets, my vets are very rabbit savvy, I know alot who aren't so good. My vet are very good (and expensive) but will operate at any age (5 months upwards), females are more prone to fat storage regardless of what age they were speyed.

It's better to have the rabbit neutered for behavioural and health issues such as cancer in females.

I think the average age remains 6-8 regardless of the country although alot of people with house rabbits claim the average age to be between 8-12. I think the oldest rabbit on record was 18!!!

Hope that helps, will be intersting for some USA and europian members to have their say too.

hi there i am in the uk i have written in bllue what i can answer to your questions.
I was just wondering about a few of the differences in the general care of bunnies between your countries and mine (Australia).

For example, I noticed a few things that occur differently there to Australia. Just out of sheer curiosity I have some questions.

General life span? I've read from various sources that in Australia it is between 6 and 8 years, but in a thread I read bunnies can live up to 14?most people will say 6 is old in a rabbit but if they are speyed/neutered nad well kept then many will ive longer anthing betwwen 6-14 is good my bun chelsea is 10.5 years and still very happy. I want to be able to expect something like that out of Tila, but apparently in Australia his life expectancy seems pretty dismal o_O.

What vaccinations are given and how often?we give myxi vaccs every 6months as a rabbit who gets myxi has a very limited chance of survival without teh vaccs i think its horrid that domestc pets arent allowed this in your country i have had chelsea survive nodular myxi it isnt plesaent but without teh vaccine she would have had to be put down. the oz reasoning is because rabbits are a pest there grr we also give a vhd vaccs annually adn we worm bunnys with pannacur 2-4 times a year to prevent ec using pannacur Here, it is a callicivirus vaccination once yearly. Myxi vaccinations are illegal - I have to be extra diligent about protecting Tila from mosqutoes as I have seen wild rabbits/hares in my area.

Is there an age limit for desexing?some vets wait till 6months others 4 but most wil do a boy when they have their bits descended not sure about girls My vet surgery (I'm not sure about every vet) is either extremely reluctant or will not desex a rabbit, especially a doe, over a year old, as the increase in fat on the abdominal wall at that age apparently causes a lot of complications,this is untrue as many vets here and any good rabbit savvy vet wil ldo a spay operation on a rabbit in full health at any age to prevent uterine cancer this affects 85% of unspeyed females and can hit any age from 3years..... my mums competant vet did sooty at age 9yrs as the risk is only increased with age of cancer attacking and she may well have a few good years left in her uterine cancer is a horrible way to go i have lost a rabbit to it once never again. not only for them but for bunny, too. Desexing here begins at around 4-5 months.

Legal limit on how many rabbits? not sure there is a legal limit but there are legal limits as to cage sizes a breeder for example will need a liscence where as a pet owner will not. provided you can give love time attention money and vet care oh and space to all your rabbits then no limit is in place.Apparently each state in Australia has a legal limit on how many bunnies you can own before a license is needed, and also apparently some states here discourage rabbits as companion animals altogether. o_O. I have never heard it before until now, but I read it somewhere while searching for some information. I haven't seen any other sources to comfirm this, but it would be a nice thing to find out before I get any additions to the family! Is there any limits in your area?
i hope this answers many of your q's also over here the reccomended htch size is 6x3x3ft and attatched to a minimum 6x6ft run. or indoors a dog crate of 48inches with free range of room or with a run attatched..they say rabbits need as much space as a small dog and should be able to hop 3 times in length stretch fully upwards in height and stretch out fully in width.

California, USA:

No vaccinations necessary, apparently
Lifespan 7-12 years
Desexing any age, but younger than 1 year is highly recommended
Don't think there's a state or federal law stating how many rabbits you can keep, but instead 'rules' that apply to rented accommodation (and of course animal welfare investigations into anyone neglecting their rabbits because they have vast numbers)

Also:
California Penal Code, Section 599:

Every person is guilty of a misdemeanor who:

Sells or gives away, any live chicks, rabbits, ducklings, or other fowl as a prize for, or as an inducement to enter, any contest, game or other competition or as an inducement to enter a place of amusement or place of business...

AMETHYST

Last edited:
I knew someone from another forum who was having to rehome her rabbits because her family was moving to Queensland and apparently they are illegal there.

ive read that house rabbits are a lot more popular in the US than here in the UK... what is the trend in Oz?

I dont know very much about how people care for rabbits in Spain because I deiscover rabbits as a pet here in UK but I know in spanish forums and spanish vets reccomedn always to feed PINEAPLE to your rabbit and I never hear that here.

Back