• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Pets at Home

George&dillon

Mama Doe
I read somewhere that Pets At Home have a rescue section in there shops now ;) Mine doesn't but a friend told me yesterday hers does so you never know it may go shop wide ;)

A lot of them do but they tend to be kept in quite smal perspexl boxes :? It's better than nothing though I guess.

They are normally in a far back corner, and not easy to see. Both my local ones have one. They aren't great, to be honest.

unfortunatly though its a nice idea there needs more thought into the rescue section. it has gone nationwide and the adoption section is very small and normally out of the way. you give a donation to take on a "rescue" pet which can range from someone who has handed in a stray to any pet that has been brought back to genuine rescue cases. each animal is vet checekd however no vaccinations or neutring is provided and no home chceck is done this is ok for hamsters and rats provided the correct size cage is already purchessed and some sort of care guide is issued but for many animals it doesnt work well. for example stitch came from a pah adoption centre. he is a one eyed rabbit with poor sighting in his remaining eye his area was small and they recoomended i buy a thistle hall hutch for him. i told them i had a hutch already so they didnt persue it.... the hutch i had has two levels i tried him in it and he fell down the ramp as he couldnt see the hole therefore a thistle hall would NOT have been suited to him i have since found he scans which if i knew nothing of rabbits would have been alarming and that he cannot gauge distances so therefore doesnt jump...he doesnt like being picked up but loves a fuss on the floor and they had lost his previous vet records so we dont know why his eye was removed in the first place leading to several vet trips about his remaining eye which has a white spot..fortunatly his remaining eye just has poor vision and not something which will cause him future problems. i am so glad i took him out of there i have been fostering him up till now and have paid for vaccs etc and he is being neutered this weekend. he is a loverly sole and we now have a good home (fingers crossed) lined up for him.. however imagine if he went ot a house who didnt know about rabbits. ihe bumps into things if you move them he would possibly have had a very different future story. i have seen unspeyed does in the rescue bit who say i am agressive i cannot live with toher rabbits... well maybe if they were speyed and paired with the right neutered male they could...however that rabbit will likely now live a life of solitude. its a nice idea and with the right information and tweaking(homechecks and a large area for the animals) could be a good idea at the moment it isnt brillinat in any shape or form.

If you do a search on here you'll find lots of threads about it with the arguments for and against. I, personally am against it, but read it through and make your own mind up.

My local pets at home have one at the moment there are 2 male buns living together in a very very small area :( they have been there 4 weeks at least.
When I first noticed them they seemed so happy and friendly but now the one seems very depressed.. They were in the shop for sale but nobody wanted to buy them so they've been put in the adoption section.

Back