• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I've lost one of my rabbits :-(

p_prod_uk

Mama Doe
As the title suggests really,

I'm sitting here in tears, have been for the last hour.

Went in to feed everyone this morning and Boo wasn't right. He'd wee'd and poo'd on top of the hutch within the shed and fell off the hutch, looking really dazed and confused.

I rushed him to my vets (still in my PJs) and was told he was emaciated and his body was shutting down. How could I not have noticed? I feel like sh!t and am not suitable to own rabbits. I'd noticed he was losing weight but he seemed to be eating fine and had hay and SS everyday with bits of veg a few times a week.

I thought i was giving everything to him that a bunny could want. Big shed with run to live in, bonded to a female, lots of love. but i've let him down. any myself. I feel so god damn guilty that i've caused this and I can't ever expect anyone to say "it's not your fault" becuase it is. It's all my fault.

I think bad of people who don't look after their rabbits but i'm no better.

I'm going to contact Sooz as I don't think Dude and Poppy should live me any longer. They deserve to be looked after better than i obv do.

Please don't shoot me down, I'm already feeling like dying myself and don't need to feel worse.

I just wish I could turn abck the clock.

ETA: Boo is the darker bun in my sig. Please send him peaceful vibes

Last edited:
I dont know what to say. You mustnt think you're a bad bunny mum because rabbits are so good at hiding any illness & when you have more than one bun its difficult to know who's eating what. dont compare yourself to the kind of people who abuse their buns because they know theyre doing it & dont care. You obviously do care & love your buns, so please stop hating yourself. Feel the pain but dont hate yourself. <<hugs>>

This is totally NOT your fault...we have all been in a similar position...and it's only by going through it that you learn to spot the subtle signs of the early stages of illness.

I'm very sorry for your loss, and please don't blame yourself :cry:

I'm so sorry for your loss. Feelings of guilt are natural, because you sound as though you care a great deal about your buns and it's normal to wonder if there was anything more you could have done.

Please have a good think about your other bunnies though; you might feel differently when your grief isn't quite so raw and regret giving them up. ((Hugs))

Oh, please don't beat yourself up - I did exactly the same after losing Nougat (to flystrike - I thought I was a good owner too:cry:).
Bobby lost a lot of weight in a short period of time and I didn't notice immediately - he has a jaw abcess and had also lost the fur on his belly as well which really upset me. I hadn't noticed before this.
Boo had a happy life with you, with all of those things you mentioned. Please don't make any hasty decisions regarding your other buns. I'm sure they love you and would want to stay.
Binky free Boo.

Oh no...please don't blame yourself, these things can come on sooo quickly, it is scary how quickly buns can loose weight.

I would ask your vet to do a pm to rule out anything which could of passed to the others?

Could there have been another underlying problem that contributed to this?

I had a bunny who was quite large and didn't notice she was losing weight until the vet pointed it out when I took her in for another problem. She ate like a horse, but had liver and kidney problems (which was hereditary as her dad and brothers had had this but died at 1-2 years old whereas she was about 7 years old).

Peaceful vibes to Boo, and please try not to blame yourself.

ok firstly rabbits are prey aniimals and hide all illness very very well the first signs an wner often sees are the laast symptoms. so how could you spot it?
bunnys in groups or pairs often are harder to spot ilness as they are often ssnuggled to partners and the food quantitys eaten look the same same with water as there is more than one it becomes difficult. the only thing you can do now is rather than make 2 other rabbits homeless and send them back to a rescue which is already over brusting is concentrate on tehm concentrate on their welfare ie ensure that you pick up every other day and do bum checks this way yo u should also notice any wieght change too. this wsounds erally harsh and while i know you are currently hurting you are thinking silly thoughts and need someone to snap you out of it. not noticing doesnt make you a bad owner... not doing anythinig when you notice does...so you took him to the vets well thats a good thing... just keep a closer watch on the others. rest in peace baby to the bunny thats gone and hugs and keep your other bunyn vibes to you xx

aw my goodness, don't feel bad or blame yourself, as everyone says bunnies hide their sillness so well and he may have had something that you maybe couldn't do anything about. don't be giving your bunnies away, i'm sure their fun, i'm sure your a wonderful mummy and if your feeling guilty then it shows you really care for them. lots of hugs to you. just think of your other bunnies i'm sure they'll miss you. take your other buns down to the vets and get them check just to make sure they haven't caught something, that'll give you piece of mind. :love::love::love::love:

This was not your fault.......................When you see your buns everyday you might not notice their weight loss.

buns can be ill for a while before they show any signs of illness.

You must not blame yourself..............................nor should you make any rash decisions as you are in shock.

BIG Hugs to you

I agree with everyone else that this was not your fault. Having said that, I can completely understand why you feel guilty, even though it is misplaced guilt. Guilt is a part of grief, and that is what you are having to go through.

Instead of maybe giving up your other buns, maybe, if you think it might help, you could try to learn something from losing this bun. I'm not actually saying you need to, but when I lost one of mine and blamed myself, I found it helped to know that my bun didn't die in vain and I went out and learnt a lot. Maybe you could start doing weekyl weigh ins or something, so that you can monitor their weight, something like that. It might help you to feel that you won't make the same 'mistakes' as you did before (I personally don't think you did anything wrong, but I know that you feel you did, so I'm trying to look at this from your point of view, not from what I'm seeing).

Grief also makes us inclined to do knee jerk reactions, so please don't give your bunnies up just because you are grieving. Wait and see for a month or so, or more and see how you feel then, just don't make this decision because you are shhocked and grieving and no one can make a rational decision like that.

I still blame myself for a freak incident that led me to losing my best ever friend (who was a bun), but I have never allowed what happened to happen to anyone else. Having buns is a learning curve, and I think you ARE a good owner because you want the best for your buns. If you were neglectful, you wouldn't be feeling guilty, or wouldn't want your new buns to have to best. Thing is, they are better with you than potentially with someone else.

If you ever need a chat, please feel free to PM me,

Tracy
x

So sorry about Boo :(

I hope you keep your other buns though, you don't sound like a bad bunny mum to me at all.

Oh hun, I know I replied elsewhere but I just feel so sad thinking of you blaming yourself :cry: My little Daniel became a bag of bones quite literally over two days, and I'd never have believed that it wasnt something I'd missed if if I didnt have the photos to prove it. Go give your other buns some massive snuggles, they need their Mummy - and you are a GOOD bunny mum. So, so sorry :cry: XX

Back