• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

spaying and 'edwardian collars'

marvy

Warren Scout
Hi, I posted this but I think I did so in the wrong thread/area!

Just to let you know that when you spay your rabbit ( presuming the same will for male bunnies little operation) I noticed that my girls were unable to access food and water when wearing these collars after spaying!

They are house rabbits so this was easy to observe - just a little note for other responsible owners who keep their ladies outside .:D

I don't think many vets advocate the use of these collars on rabbits for these reasons anyway , although I expect in some cases they are necessary.

Well my 'rabbit vet' is not a rabbit vet then! She was great with my previous male bunny and this practice uses glue over the stiches , the collar was just a precautonary measure! Is it general practise NOT to use these collars? My baby bun also had a problem with her foot. But after saying that neither could reach their food/water!

I have never used a collar, but had several bunnies spayed. I did watch a bun who had an inguinal testicle removed, 24/7 fr three days, because he was chewing, but really didn't want to resort to a collar because it prevents them eating an ddrinking, and also eating cecals, and also prevents them grooming, all of which can depress them and make them worse, especially just after surgery.

Has your vet explained why she suggests a collar?

no rabbit vet i know has ever said use a collar except where the rabbit ahs already treid to pull at its stitches this is for a few reasons they cannot eat theri caecetrophs(edible poops) cannot drink and eat and it distresses them. most vets say with adequet pain relief and internal stitches and glue that most rabbits will lick but not bite at tehir stitches... the collar is a alast resort.. or you can do the baby grow/jumper style overcoat to stop a naughty bun trying to bite its stitches too.

our vets all advocate using the collars on spayed rabbits and all four of my females wore them for seven days post spay.

they could all access their food and drink normally and easily and none of the girls seemed the least bit bothered by them.They also ate their caecotrophs with no trouble it just meant the edges of the collar needed a wipe twice a day where their were a few caecotrophs stuck in them.

Maisie only had hers(she was the first)because she removed her stitches and was stapled but after that all the girls had collars and to me it makes good sense unless you can watch your bun 24/7 you can't protect them from removing their stitches and potentially harming themselves.

having the collars on my buns meant that i could go to work safe in the knowledge that the buns couldn't hurt themselves.

Mr Benjamin Fairweather also wore a collar after he was castrated and he too was fine with it.:D

i also had to use a collar with Dusty after her spay but this was because she ripped out stitches, then removed the glue, staples and anything else that was tried to keep the wound closed! it took weeks for the wound to heal but it was a constant battle with Dusty to prevent her from ripping everything out..........the collar helped..................

Arthur had a collar after his operation but we took it off because he kept pushing it over his ears and getting caught. The dog kept sticking his face in it and the rabbit couldn't get away from him also :lol:

I have never used a collar, but had several bunnies spayed. I did watch a bun who had an inguinal testicle removed, 24/7 fr three days, because he was chewing, but really didn't want to resort to a collar because it prevents them eating an ddrinking, and also eating cecals, and also prevents them grooming, all of which can depress them and make them worse, especially just after surgery.

Has your vet explained why she suggests a collar?

She said that she didn't trust them with the stiches - especially the young one! She also had a poorly foot and kept licking off the cream. I did ask about the collar at the vets regarding eating food and she said if this is the case then take it off. There was glue over the stiches.. but to be honest I was a tad miffed as prior to surgery she said that they used internal stiches and then glue on the outside - therefore no stiches for them to pick at!. Also, I said to one of the nurses about well how on earth or they going to eat there soft pooh - and she just mentioned fly strike!!!
I didn't leave the collars on for long as with them being inside the older one was getting angry with it and then when she went to the bowl and couldn't get her food I just took them of them both.

Back