• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Is this normal- genetalia wise

mrshorsy

Warren Scout
Ok bit of a wierd one here picked up Gwen tonight to give her here daily B&B (Brush and bum check! :oops:) and she had a big clump of poo on her bum. Excuse the graphic details but it was really thick and sticky so I got a damp cloth and cleaned her up and while I was doing so I notice something which looked a bit odd.
Not sure how to describe it and couldnt get a picture (camera wouldnt focus close enough) but I'll try.
Basically either side of her anus (to the right and left as opposed to front and back) she has a slit both of which look like they have dried blood in them!
Should I be worried?
Hope someone understands what I mean!

Don't understand about the slit things, will need a picky for those. It sounds like she's got a sticky bum. This is from not enough hay in her diet, if she's not eating much, try cutting it up and putting it in her pellets.
Have you heard of FlyStrike? If not, investing in something called 'RearGuard' will be a good idea to protect her from it...

Those are her scent glands. The stuff you describe as blood like is generally dark brown waxy stuff, which is her 'scent'. These glands can be cleaned if a bunny is too stinky and it should ease the smell. It might be worth checking to make sure that this is what you are seeing, and that there are no wounds there.

Do you know why she had a poopy butt?

Oh yeah! Ofcourse, sorry couldn't see what you meant, can now!
They are wierd looking aren't they!

Phew!
The stuff I thought was dried blood was kind of waxy!! Should I gently clean them out?
She isnt great with hay to be honest and I'm about to start weaning her from Waggs bunny brunch onto another food but keep swithering between Excel or Science Selective as my pet shop stocks both of these.

You can clean them if they look full or bulging. If you get a wet cotton bud and just wipe it out. Be very gentle because its obviously a sensitive area. I warn you, when you open it, it will stink!

Have you tried a variety of hay?

When you are switching over the food, what have you been doing? You need to make a choice and stick with it to avoid upsetting her system more.

Havent started the food switch over yet. Originally I bought junior/dwarf excell as it said for Lionheads on it but the advice on here was she would be better on the normal excel am off to take it back and change it tomorrow but cant decide between Excel and SS as some people have remarked that Excel can be too rich for buns

Try her on different hay, mine won't eat normal petshop hay, but they'll stick as much exel forage down their necks as they possibly can! It's a case of finding a hay she likes, and sticking with it.

SS is higher in fibre than Excel. If your bun has a sticky bottom they need a diet higher in fibre, therefore SS would be better for them.

Just got her Excel with the herbs in and she likes it but doesnt eat a lot. I think maybe I give her too much bunny brunch and she isnt hungry enough to eat the hay!

yep sounds like scent glands to me i have the same with smudgey when i first found them it was unsure if she was a he so i thought they might have been a deplumming gone wrong :oops:

Try her on different hay, mine won't eat normal petshop hay, but they'll stick as much exel forage down their necks as they possibly can! It's a case of finding a hay she likes, and sticking with it.

Sounds like Flopsie, he'll eat supa forage till it comes out of his ears lol

On another more smelly note. I got a sniff of his scent glands today when I was doing his B&B... not pretty :shock:

I tried to change to excel from wagg.. Bunny prefers wagg so she has that.
As for hay, She seems to prefer the small medow grass you some times use for bedding.
I noticed this as I used it to put in her litter tray, not only does she like pooing in the hay but she can enjoy her favourite passtime..eating hay and pooing!!
She has straw hay too but isn't as keen on it, her deffo favourite though is plantain.
I don't think it is a substitute for hay but she will eat as much as I give her.

The hayexperts.com do a £3.99 sample grass/herb selection which might be worth looking at.. Bunny never ate as much as she did with those.

Does your rabbit go out? Mine likes to eat fresh grass too which has to be better than a dried grass diet.

I changed mine from a museli to excel, and although they turn their noses up at first, they will like it.
As long as they get plenty of veggies and grass they only need a small handful.
Have you tried timothy hay?

Back