• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Grooming help

Banni Binky

Warren Scout
024-1.jpg

033-1.jpg

Tila is usually a very clean bunny, but when he goes out for his runs, he likes to investigate and hide under the cars in the yard when he knows it's time to go back home. The cars don't have leaks, but he likes to brush up against them and he sometimes gets residual oil on his back. I am very worried that one day he will get sick from cleaning himself - I usually wipe him with a damp cloth to get as much as possible off, though it doesnt always all come off. I am reluctant to completely bath him as he is outside and I don't want him to get sick, and he is always vey clean save for those spots on his back and the bottoms of his feet. His ears, eyes and bottom are always perfectly clean, I don't see a need to bath him completely.

Is there something I can use other than just water to help dissolve the oil? Are commercial shampoos safe or is there a safer natural solution? I would prefer the latter if possible.

I am going to be getting him a run so he doesn't get under the cars anymore, but until then I need a solution. There is nowhere else the cars can go, and he is too big to stay permanently in his hutch until I can build his new one.

Also, Tila's claws are getting quite long, and they hurt alot when he scratches. Hehas drawn blood on my stomach before - although it was not a deliberate scratch. He kicks when I put him down. The last time they were clipped was while he was being neutered - he was already under anaesthetic so the vet did it for me while he was there. I bought some clippers for rabbit and guinea pig claws, but he does not want to toleratehis claws being clipped. He doesn't mind being brushed or having his eyes cleaned, but he just won't let me hold his paws. When I try to hold him with his back against my chest or cradling him like a baby, he is calm until I touch his paws. Any suggestions on what to do? I don't want to take him to the vet just to get his claws cut unless its unavoidable... consultation fees are veeery expensive >_o

I've seen some grooming wipes in Pets at Home, which could help, they come in a pack like wet wipes do so I imagine that they're dampened and not just dry tissues. I was planning on having a look at them anyway for Flopsie :) http://www.petsathome.com/find/keyword-is-grooming+wipes/product-is-18921

Have you tried placing him down facing you? I read on here somewhere (sorry I don't remember who posted it) it reduces the likeliness of them kicking out.

Last edited:
No, I haven't, thankyou for the suggestion! I know they don't like being picked up facing you, or rather being taken out through a door face first. I gathered it was the same putting them down. I will try it :D

Hi,

The Pets at home grooming wipes work well for light cleaning jobs, but as far as grease goes I'm not sure how well they will work!

I used to breed and show guinea pigs and male guineas can get very greasy glands on their hind end, which breeders commonly clean with water and swarfega hand wash, which you can buy in Halfords and it removes all mechanical grease and is safe for animals. It will foam so make sure you wash it out well! Hope that helps a little!

Back