• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

she hates her cage

louise1

Mama Doe
O.k so honey hates her cage i let her out every night for hours but she hates going back in and chews all the bars aggresivly pulls her food bowl and growls.... i know shes not gonna like not being out but i dont want her to hate her cage she has lots of toys etc in there and when i let her out she sometimes just likes to lie on my floor and chill but i work 12 hour days and my room is no way bunnyproof so couldnt leave her that long as she likes to chew my cushions etc..... i have a spare room with nothing in it so am thinking do i move her up there but then shes not in the livinroom wher we sit etc and she likes to be around everyone....... can anyone help... i dont wanna attatch a run to her cage as its in my livinroom.....:( HELP I FEEL BAD WHEN I LEAVE HER CHEWING THE BARS WANTING OUT.....

I always put my bunnies back in their hutches/shed with a huge bundle of fresh timmy hay to munch on - their favourite thing is finding the timmy hay seed heads which I guess must be our equivalent to chocolate judging by how excited they get :lol: they really don't mind being locked up if they have hay to dig through and should be getting a bundle as big as their body, twice a day, just for entertainment as well as food value - mine prefer hay to any toy :)

its a nero 4 the new one..... she still small though coz shes only 12 weeks..... where wud i get timothy hay pets at home dont have it??

The hayexperts is good, and I've just bought some great chew toys from chinchillas2shop.

Western Timothy Hay is what I feed my rabbits and they love it. I do believe it is the same. :)

AMETHYST

Kermit has a nero 4 cage.....he pulls at it from time to time when i put him in.

I just give him a wee treat when i put him in, like a bit of broccoli or a green bean or something, then i put in some fresh hay....then that way by the time he has finished with that he forgets ive put him in and goes for a wee snooze!!

You could also try hiding pellets and such around her cage so that she has something to find and forage for, which could keep her entertained. I had a bar rattler and he juts had so much pent up energy. When he got a friend (two actually), he stopped rattling the bars and was generally happier. Maybe that's worth thinking about for the future when she has been spayed?

see i cant give her veg bcoz it seems to run right through her and when i give her a weeee tiny bit at night even a tiny bit of carrot i wake up to squueshy pooh all mushed up in her cage..... ive tried hiding pellets aswell... immaybe thinking a cuddlt toy to keep her company but i dont wanna get one that she rips apart and eats something shes not allowed...:oops:

Ah ok, so best to avoid veg then. She still has a babies tummy so its not surprising she can't cope with it very well. Have you thought about getting a bigger cage or finding a way to attach a run to the area so she can have out time at night?

shes does get out for about 4-5 hours at night if not longer sometimes and on a monday and thursday i have her out all day from when i get up till i go to bed even when i go out i let her jump about coz im never out for long.... but bcoz its the livingroom i dont really wanna attatch a pen if i was going to do that i might need to move her upstairs in the spare room but then i fell like shes away from us all if u know what i mean...:oops:

i have a spare room with nothing in it so am thinking do i move her up there but then shes not in the livinroom wher we sit etc and she likes to be around everyone

Could you not do the spare room up as a bunny proof room she can run around in while you are out and let her into the living room for a few hours when you come home? She'll be getting the same attention as now and you can just have a litter tray and hay/water for her in the living room. Then you can put her to bed in her room every night with her ration of pellets/favourite food. She'll probably look forward to going back to her 'bedroom' every night that way rather than protest at being put in a small cage. When she's old enough to be spayed it might be better getting her a friend if she's left alone for 12 hours a day.

Alternatively get a 4 foot dog crate and put a couple of floors in so she has room to move about. They don't look too bad in a living room and I know with people who have the smaller sizes for their dogs they often put a solid top on and make them into a sideboard/coffee table to camouflage them slightly.

Last edited:
Can you not move her upstairs and then just bring her downstairs when your in the house? Then she would have loads of sopace when you are out, and company when you get in and bring her downstairs??

yeah i may do that the spare room has nothing in it at all just now bcoz i live myself it wud be good if i cud section a big bit of the room off for her as it is a very large room but been looking for something to section it off with and not so ure what i could get that wud be studry enough..... maybe a pen of some sort... yeah ill maybe do that this w.end then clear out the room and bring her downstairs when we are in....

When you let a bun out, you have effectively expand her territory. By the time you put her back in the cage, you reduce her territory that she already claimed is hers. Rabbits are very territorial animal. And the truth is, the best way to fix this is to let her run around the house, which is what I did.

I done what you did w/ my very first bun, Big Fat Bunny, and I didn't realize at the time the above is the problem. Since then, I let all my buns hop around the house, it's good for exercise and it's good for their emotional health, keep them happy

lol if i let her run about my livinroom it wud be destroyed by the time i get home with poooop everyhwhere ..... she eats my couch curtains the wall the rug everything when were not in the room so dont think thats an option as much as i would love to... i leave her out for a few hours if im going out but not 12 hour days 3 days a week....

You need better rabbit proofing :D (although I don't trust mine free range even with effective rabbit proofing). I agree about doing something in the spare room and allowing her with you when she can be.

I do also think there is still that attention element to this though, she doesn't hate her cage, just wants your attention, and has learnt how to get it.

lol yeah ure probably right.... when shes out she loves to lie right down and stretch her legs out and i dont feel like she can do this in the nero 4...... and maybe thats why she loves doing it so much when shes out.....:? should i remove the 2nd platform in the nero 4 that i put her food and water bottle on?? so she has more ground space??

lol if i let her run about my livinroom it wud be destroyed by the time i get home with poooop everyhwhere ..... she eats my couch curtains the wall the rug everything when were not in the room so dont think thats an option as much as i would love to... i leave her out for a few hours if im going out but not 12 hour days 3 days a week....

does she has a companion? A companion will keep ea. other busy. All you need is bunny proof your cables in the house.

Poos everywhere is not really true, the poos only occurred at their "spots", and you just have to pick it up and throw it away. Rabbits only poos at the corner of their spots, it's their nature.

If you have portable rug, it's not good for them, as the thread is too long and they can't swallow it, and in long term, those non-natural material can cause cancer. I got rid of all my rug, the one in the entrance, bathroom, back entrance, etc. w/ the one in the bathroom, I simply put a thick cotton towel.

Cotton is 100% natural material so it doesn't matter

Back