• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Help with william's meds...

AprilLynne

Warren Scout
William has metacam to take every 12 hours... the last time I had to syringe-feed him meds it was awful, he stomped and refused to take anything. I found mixing it with applesauce worked wonders. Tonight I tried that, but he's still not too interested in eating it. I think he'll eat it tomorrow when he feels a bit better, but I just can't force him to take the metacam right now :oops: he had such a stressful day I dont want to grab him and scare him any more.

Does that sound alright? Will he be ok with missing a metacam dose today and starting it in the morning?

Depends...is he eating? Showing signs of pain? Then I would force him anyway... It is important that the pain doesn't stop him from eating and he doesn't go into stasis...

But metacam isn't too stressfull to give ,the portion is that small, if you just put it in a syringe, hide it behind your back en "surprise" him. You don't have to pick him up to give it, just leave him on the ground, open his mouth and be quick abut it.

Other option: if he is eating, take his pellets and put a tiny drop on some of the pellets. Leave it to dry for an hour and he probably won't even notice.

Or take some basilicum (smells really strong) first feed him some seperate leaves with no meds, then feed him the med (prepared before) between 2 leafes of basilicum "glued" together with the meds. That tricks mine most of the time, I even gave panacur-paste this way ;)

I would make sure he gets it, somehow!

I know it might stress him for a bit, but he will feel better once it kicks in

you could try it on leaves or inside a bit of apple... or you could try the bunny burrito towel wrap to do it? hope you mange i try and do it so i kneel behind bunny..so cant back away then hold down with one armwrapped around bun and use other to put syring into mouth...hope it helps x

He was eating hay and a few veggies last night, so I didn't force the metacam :oops:

But this morning he took it with some carrot-applesauce (babyfood) :p
He's eating... but a bit pickier than usual. :? Mostly munching on hay and picking his favorate veggies out of the greens. He ate a bit like that the day after his abscess surgery and then went right back to normal, so hopefully that is the case again. I'm home with him today keeping an eye on him ;)

Last edited:
I always hide my metacam in their favourite veges. A drip here, a drip there, and generally do it in a sandwich form, so like a dandelion leaf, one drop of metacam, then another dandelion leaf on top. Maybe you could try hiding it more in treats and favourite foods? Especially if he is happily eating them.

try putting some of the metacam on a spring green leaf maybe?-the strong taste of the leaf might detract from the metacam? I never had probs with syringing the metacam but cudn't get bun to take biolapis in water so got her to take it (when mixed)on spring green leaf? Might b worth a try?-Sue:wave:

hope he feels better soon

I find it depends on the bun, if they're using it soley for pain relief I often find that they don't need it.

If its more for anti inflammetries then its pretty much crucial they get it.

I usually feed all meds in porridge

Thanks everybody... good tips! He was taking it for pain, not anti-inflamation so he was ok without it that first night. In the morning I gave it to him with some baby-food (carrot-applesauce, yum!) and he loved it :p

He's been taking it since and feeling great hopping around a little bit today and seems to have bounced back quite well from the neuter

Back