• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Help please.....

Bluesmum

Wise Old Thumper
Blue has a grubby bum and for the life of me I can't clean it. Does anyone have any tips for cleaning the bum of a bun who is the size of a small dog and doesn't take kindly (understandably) to being held on his back. It's mad cause he'll lie on his back on his own. And theres just me.
I feel bad cause I check him every day and all of a sudden his bum is dirty and there sticky poo (can't spell the right word for it :oops:) all over the floor. I haven't changed his diet so I don't know whats caused this so suddenly.
Any ideas on how this could have happened? Starting to get worried and I think I'll take him to the vets just to make sure hes ok.

hi stress illness dietry change nibbling something he shouldnt can all start off a sticky bum. cornflour will easily slide the poop off... if you cant get him on his back wrap in atowel and try and put him on his side..hold at least one back paw to stop him kicking out anduse your free hand to bathe with warm water(if the cornfour doesnt work) to loosen it a bit. where are you located maybe one of us could pop by and help de poop him? its always easier with 2 people alternativly get him to your local vet nurse who can help you do it?

I'm in Gosport near Portsmouth. Is it cornflour solution or dry? I always have it in cause I do respite for kids and its a great sensory stimulant for them.
As far as I can see theres nothing hes eaten that he shouldn't and there hasn't been any change in his diet. Hasn't been anything I know of to stress him.
I will try the towel thing....nightmare being on your own....Need 4 hands!
Thanks guys, really appreciate it.

Phoebe gets a sticky bum, and i find ponking his bum in the bathroom sink with a bit of warm water and baby bubble bath cleans him up a treat! ;) Personally hes always too messy to use cornflour and it would still leave him with that smelly sickly poopy smell which I hate - hes quite accoustomed to his baths now! :lol:
edit: sorry i just re-read my post and it made NO sense

Last edited:
Well, managed to get the worst of it off but hes had a bit of a tantrum. Now his bum is all wet he's cleaning it which I guess is a good thing. Had to cut a couple of bits off with nail scissors but other than that he seems ok. Might take him down to the vets and get them to take a look at him, just to see if theres any underlying problem.
Well, apart from him not speaking to me :oops:
Thanks for all your suggestions guys, might give him a shallow bum bath tomorrow and try to get the rest off. Not going to do it now other wise he'll have to go to bed with a soggy bum which would get all sorts of yucky stuck to it and probably make the whole situation worse. At least if I do it when I get home from work then hell have time to dry before bed.

Well, managed to get the worst of it off but hes had a bit of a tantrum. Now his bum is all wet he's cleaning it which I guess is a good thing. Had to cut a couple of bits off with nail scissors but other than that he seems ok. Might take him down to the vets and get them to take a look at him, just to see if theres any underlying problem.
Well, apart from him not speaking to me :oops:
Thanks for all your suggestions guys, might give him a shallow bum bath tomorrow and try to get the rest off. Not going to do it now other wise he'll have to go to bed with a soggy bum which would get all sorts of yucky stuck to it and probably make the whole situation worse. At least if I do it when I get home from work then hell have time to dry before bed.

is it something that happens a lot with him? in which case you might find he is better on a differnet pellets i know that sooty is terrible on excel but fine on ss and yet chelsea is terrible on ss but ok on excel light.?

Well,he had a bum-bath last night and despite spraying water everywhere and sulking for about 3 hours, he seems ok now. He's never had a problem before and he's always on the same pellets so nothing has changed.
Although now his bum looks really white...the rest of his white bits look grubby!

Back