• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rescue rabbit advice .............

George&dillon

Mama Doe
Not sure if i've posted this in the right section ;)As you've probaly seen i'm now searching for a rabbit. I would prefer 2 don't beleive in keeping one ;) I'm interested in rescues in paticular :love: what does rescuing entail? the last two i was meant to be getting i went to hers she came to mine etc what do rescues expect of me? would they like to see my set up? would they transport to my house for me if there far away? Am i right in thinking they are paired up already? Any advice gratefully accepted ;) or where did anyone else get there rabbits from?

I'd say the best way to get an idea of what they expect is to read the details on Rabbit Rehome. Do a search rabbit and look at the criteria the rescue gives. For example some will specify 6ft hutch, some will ask that the single rabbit offered for rehome is to be paired up with an existing male/female.

Most if not all do home checks. I got my first rescue bunny from Bunny Camp Sanctuary in Bradford. I went to visit him and reserved him pending home check. Within a week they did a home check to see the set up I had, which was also a good opportunity to ask lots of questions.

The second I got from rescue was only a couple of months later and 150 miles away so they (Lucy from RSPCA Walsall) got a reference from the previous rescue as that was the best way to go about it.

Most are single rabbits and it usually specifies that they should be homed in pairs or groups.

We had a beautiful silky black rabbit from Sue's Rabbit Rescue(Sues_rabs on here) Dewsbury Yorkshire. Not sure of exact location of rescue because she came to me via bunnyrun by kindness of luvabun. Yes I did have to have a homecheck.

Here is link

http://www.suesrabbitrescue.org.uk/

-sue:wave:

BARC are in Barnsley. They have minimum hutch & run sizes, but you could PM Bunnymadhouse on here for size requirements. I homecheck for them too :)

I know they have a ton of buns in cos I have a waiting list of buns to go on their waiting list:shock:

I'd say the best way to get an idea of what they expect is to read the details on Rabbit Rehome. Do a search rabbit and look at the criteria the rescue gives. For example some will specify 6ft hutch, some will ask that the single rabbit offered for rehome is to be paired up with an existing male/female.

Most if not all do home checks. I got my first rescue bunny from Bunny Camp Sanctuary in Bradford. I went to visit him and reserved him pending home check. Within a week they did a home check to see the set up I had, which was also a good opportunity to ask lots of questions.

The second I got from rescue was only a couple of months later and 150 miles away so they (Lucy from RSPCA Walsall) got a reference from the previous rescue as that was the best way to go about it.

Most are single rabbits and it usually specifies that they should be homed in pairs or groups.

I am visiting Bunny Camp soon in search of a husbund. Were they helpful?

I am visiting Bunny Camp soon in search of a husbund. Were they helpful?

Yes, amazing. They've been running Bunny Camp for about 9 or 10 years and put loads of dedication in to what they do. Very highly recommended.

They (Sonya) have just bonded Rudy and Tinks for me. They gave me a really good description of how Rudy's personality would change when he settled into his new home (100% accurate) so it would be a good place to choose/get advice about a new partner for an existing bunny.

most rescues on this forum will home nationwide..
if you are able to travel..or with the help of volunteer bunny runs..

For a pair of rabbits a 6 foot x 2 foot x 2 foot hutch..with access to a secure run is usually the minimum a rescue will require:D

Back