• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How big a hutch?

George&dillon

Mama Doe
I'm really useless with measurements so would like your opinion please, i noticed that the minimum size cage should be 6ftx2ftx2ft which seem hard to get, i've seen alot at 4ftx4ftx2ft this is over 2 floors with ramp and not including run this would be for night time. I plan on making a run as big as poss i was looking at 6ftx6ft or more with a smaller cage attached for them to come & go as they please ;) would this be ok?

I'm really useless with measurements so would like your opinion please, i noticed that the minimum size cage should be 6ftx2ftx2ft which seem hard to get, i've seen alot at 4ftx4ftx2ft this is over 2 floors with ramp and not including run this would be for night time. I plan on making a run as big as poss i was looking at 6ftx6ft or more with a smaller cage attached for them to come & go as they please ;) would this be ok?

not really if for an outdoor pair of bunnys the ft cages dont offer the smae amount of floor space as some of it is taken up by the ramp adn the hole also many are not tall enough for buns to stand up...go to happy hutches or make your own...a 6x3ft deep x3ft tall is ideal really attatched to a 6x6ft run iminimum pet shop hutches are rubbish adn not fit for use also many are poorly built ..alternativly a shed conversion is a good idea or a dog crate for indorors bunnys x

My two live in a 12ft x 6ft dog kennel which personally i think is ideal and i wouldn't have it any smaller.
It's so nice to see them hopping up on the bale of hay and running through all the tunnels etc etc.
I really don't think 6ft hutch will be big enough.
An option would be for maybe an attatched run to this hutch, which could be about 8-10 foot.
That would be my minimum for permanent housing.

Hope that helped :? ;) :thumb:

A 6ft hutch is perfectly adequate for two small-medium sized rabbits. A 6ftx6ft run is great too. Remember to try to get a hutch with legs, as this can deter predators and is easier to clean out too. You can have a separate run, but this means they have to be moved every day into it for their daily run.

Sorry for acting thick here but the rabbits i was getting were from a fosterer and she was packing it all in and they had a cage coming so not had to look into this before now :cry: when you say with legs am i right in thinking that these are not added on on the overall height? ;)

http://www.happyhutch.co.uk/details.php?product=85

They look like that, so you are not on the floor, cleaning them out. I would recommend them totally, and they can see further around so I think they'd feel safer, than close to the ground. Just my personal opinion.

I take my rabbits to their run every day from the hutch, and it gets them used to be held. I did this from when they were babies, so they are used to it. If I had an attached run, I don't think I'd have had quite a close bond. Again, just my personal opinion. :)

A two storey 4ft x 2ft x 2ft hutch can offer the same amount of space as a 6ft x 2ft x 2ft hutch you just need to check out how the ramp is done. A two storey 4ft gives 16sq foot minus what the ramp takes up. A 6ft one storey gives 12sq foot so as long as the ramp doesn't take up 4sq foot then it is the same.

I would recommend buying from these guys

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/64-x-26-x-55-...photoQQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1742.m153.l1262

I got mine as a second chance offer from an auction at 80 pounds.

They also do hutch run combos if that is what you are looking for.

It is fantastic, they are also doing a 5ft by6ft run that is made to take into account the leg space too, so your buns have h ead space of 29 inches with is over two foot. Plus you can get a hutch ugger from them too.

Originally (8 weeks ago) I bought a happy hutch, which I have been very unhappy with, hence the replacement. Their customer service is pathetic and their attitude to animals stinks!

I wouldn't go with a two level 4ft hutch as its not big enough on one level in my opinion. I have 2 small buns and they had to stay in a 4ft double hutch for 2 nights following my group split. They looked awful in it and I felt so bad. The bigger the better is always the moto and sheds and playhouses with attached runs make fab homes, failing that a 6ft hutch is adequate with a nice run attached.:D

I have always made my own hutches and I like them on tall legs too. It eliminates digging problems--bunnies digging out, or predators digging in. Also, I always have a dog around and the tall hutch is safer when I am away. Also, I don't have to bend when cleaning or taking out the rabbits.
I too carry mine the short distance to the run each day. They are used to this.
Sometimes--especially during winter--they come in the house, but my house is too small for a decent full time rabbit lodge.
Some people on this site though have gorgeous set ups I am envious of. Good thing my bunnies can't see 'em!

Sorry but its not big enough in my honest opinion. I would stick with a single level hutch at least 6ft as when both rabbits are on the same floor theres very little space for them.:)

I've just converted an old shed that had our bikes in (bikes moved to another shed). You can get kiddies' playhouses or small sheds for about the same price (or even less) than some big hutches. Depending on whether you have the space, a shed may be a good option? Lots of ideas on here for conversion.

I have two thistle hall hutches from P@H :shock:and have two dwarf lops in each, they also have a run attached to each which they have access to all day. They tend to chase and play all round the hutch and run so they do get excercise but I do let them out for about an hour a day for a good romp around the garden. I find that sometimes they need timeout from each other and one goes upstairs and one is downstairs so at least they have that option.

As many have posted - the bigger the better! I have a 6 x4x4 but I have two bunnies now ( they are inside) and I wont put them in that one together! But I am a soft touch! Check out the rabbit welfare association and fund they have specific measurements.

I have built my own hutch, its a corner hutch both the back walls are 4ft (if it was just straight would be 6ft long) its 2ft deep and 2ft tall, it has an upstairs exactly the same so is apx. 24sq ft i think?!?! So that the stairs didnt take up too much space I built a snug den for her (like a small box with an entrance and exit) and put the stairs on there. So she can hop ontop then go up from there. Bella seems very happy, I am too as I only had a very small space but made what I feel is quite a big enough hutch for my buns! I would be happy housing another small bun with her as she gets daily exercise in the garden and in the house as a treat!

molly2.jpg
benjy.jpg
merlin2.jpg
rubybath.jpg
Molly Kitten, Benjamin, Merlin, and beautiful Ruby....My Angels

Back