• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bun has cut his face... Advice please

ribbons

Mama Doe
Hi folks

I have a male bun who seems to manage to hurt himself even though he is in a very safe & secure pen & is not with any other buns...

This is the second time he has injured himself & I have no idea what he has done.

This time he has cut one side of his mouth what is a little swollen with a scab on it... I have cleaned it with salt water.

Doesnt look bad enough for vet treatment but want to ensure I treat it well.

Is there anything I could put on it?

Thanks

I would suggest keeping bathing it until the scab comes off. I use cooled boiled water, and I mix one pint of water with one teaspoon of salt for that.

Ideally you need to figure out how he is doing it, or how it is being done to him. Is the mesh big enough for something to put its paws through? Like a cat or anything?

I was told by the vet to put iodine on Daisy when she cut her eye but only because it is near a membrane area failing that I have always used a dilutedsolution of hipiscrub on any wounds on my rabbits and dogs.

I would suggest keeping bathing it until the scab comes off. I use cooled boiled water, and I mix one pint of water with one teaspoon of salt for that.

Ideally you need to figure out how he is doing it, or how it is being done to him. Is the mesh big enough for something to put its paws through? Like a cat or anything?

He is in my garage with my other buns & it is 100% secure... I cant understand it... Its a brand new run too...

Last time he injured his paw by ripping a part of the nail off & needed an operation... I am completely shocked & dont know what he keeps doing.:(

Just checked tigger & he is eating well... Which is great!!

I will bathe his cut everyday & see how he gets on.:D

Its great he is doing well. It's really random that he is doing this. He may just be a clumsy bunny, lol.

SKY-O has got here first as usual:D:Dcant add any more except don't use neat Iodine on a cut.salt water is the best thing to use.I think you need to set up a camera to see what is going on with your camacarsy bun:lol::lol::lol:

SKY-O has got here first as usual:D:Dcant add any more except don't use neat Iodine on a cut.salt water is the best thing to use.I think you need to set up a camera to see what is going on with your camacarsy bun:lol::lol::lol:

Sorry forgot the mention the diluted down bit to a very pale yellow colour, sorry this is probably the most important bit :roll::oops: Hope bunny is ok X

Just a quick question about his injury- is it definately a cut on his mouth or is there just evidence of scabbing? I only ask because there are a number of reasons for scabbing around the mouth which may require further treatment. Hope he's getting on ok! :)

Back