• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

My girly is being spayed today :S U/D home U/D morning

Vix

Alpha Buck
So in an attempt to keep my rabbits my girly is in for her spay today, hopefully she wont attack my mom anymore :roll::lol:

Soooo worried about it though :( I have to ring a 2 to see how shes getting on.

Any advice for Post-spay care appreciated :)

Last edited:
1 keep her inside
2 keep her warm
3 give a bowl of water aswell as her bottle
4 give her loads of herbs
5 keep an eye that shes eating a little regular.

think that s about it. good luck and hope it all goes well. :wave:

keep her indoors. have her on towles or paper shredded bedding not woodchips..hay or straw as this can poke in the wound she needs to be in a small area for cage rest as she mustnt hop around too much to soon or jump or use ramps.the first 24hours is crucial as there body temperature often drops during the night... make sure you check on her (this is due to the anestetic) also put a water bowl in the cage as poorly buns often prefer this to a bottle while recovering. you will need to get her eating and pooping asap so tempt her with leaves and veg but not gassesy ones like broccoli. give her pellets in your hand under her mouth if possible she will nibble bits and pieces but make a list of every thing even if its only ...2 pea flakes...1 dandilion leaev one slice of apple as you will soon see your list grow. by the next morning depending on when she gets to come home you should see some poops. with her stitches she should be ok if given adequet pain relief..usually a 24hour injection painkiller some rabbits are ok with just this others may need more (teeth grinding is a sign of pain or disgruntlement) um thinking what else might you need to know..oh it will take around up to 4 weeks for her hormones to start settling if she is already with a freind dont split them let them go to vets together and recover together. by around day 3-4 you can let her out for little hops but dont let her jump around or go crazy xx any thing else iv frgotten you want to ask feel free to pm me. x

My little Phoebe got spayed yesterday so can completely understand your worry! There are loads of people on here who can help you out - bunlover gave me some brilliant advice :D Hope your little one is ok :wave:

I had my little wild bunny spayed in May, I was extremely worried and stupidly had a job interview on the same day! :roll: She was absolutely fine! :D took all the platforms out of her indoor cage so she was just on one level and put some vet bed type stuff on the bottom of the cage. She was very quiet but within a couple of days she was climbing the bars of her cage :shock:

my 2 have just been speyed today they are lying quietly in their cage here in the bedroom they have been pooin and weein keep nibbling tiny amounts of coriander spring green but not a great amount but up2 now they seem ok touch wood :)

:wave: Thankyou everyone ive just finished work i picked her up around 3ish and my mom has been keeping an eye on her this afternoon, she said she hasn't really moved much and ive just put some veggies in and she hasn't touched ne of them :? Which is really unusual because shes such a greedy guts when should i start worrying???

\shes just lying in her litter tray :cry:

she will ikely be drowsy you might have to feed the veggies to her on your hand.. try dandiion leaves adn fresh herbs as the strong smells often tempt them x

one of mine is just lying in the litter tray on a towel and the other is lying the other side on the fur bed i have just syringed them both some water and they both drank a bit one has eaten a few bits of basil n spring green but my other wont touch anything as yet :(

So i shouldn't panic as yet then??? I have tried to hand feed veg but still nothing :(

Its really worrying isn't it and i feel so guilty for putting her through it feel so cruel at the moment :(

So i shouldn't panic as yet then??? I have tried to hand feed veg but still nothing :(

Its really worrying isn't it and i feel so guilty for putting her through it feel so cruel at the moment :(

stop feeling guilty.. in the long run its for the best :) is she warm? feel her ears..are they cold? wrap her in a towel and talk quietly to her.what time today did she have her op? i would try some mashed up pellets or some baby food or pureed apple..or warm porrige mixed with water off a spoon..any little bit helps...once you get them eating again you are usually alright just keep trying things for her.

Thanks Bunlover i just mashed some pellets in warm water and they both had a spoonful and ate some spring greens too do we have to keep feedin them all night like this please :wave:

stop feeling guilty.. in the long run its for the best :) is she warm? feel her ears..are they cold? wrap her in a towel and talk quietly to her.what time today did she have her op? i would try some mashed up pellets or some baby food or pureed apple..or warm porrige mixed with water off a spoon..any little bit helps...once you get them eating again you are usually alright just keep trying things for her.

Thankyou i've moved them permanently inside now for the winter, so i will be able to keep a close eye on her, just felt her ears and they're neither cold nor warm. I'm about to try some mashed up pellets with her but tbh veggies are her favourite so if shes not having those from my hand i cant see her having the pellets either :?

Sending vibes for your bunnies too wendle hopefully they'll all be fine soon.

wendle glad the pellets workd. do this as frequently as you feel and the amount should add up.

vix. try her with leaves or maybe warmed up food or strong smelling herbs or if she doesnt eat syringe critical care(can get from vet or some pet shops) or if you cant get theat pop to tesco and get fruit or veatable baby food warm it and try on spoon if wont eat it off a spoon try syringe feeding it to her.. x

I tried her with carrots and lettuce leaves (not iceberg) it was a mixed bag of leaves of different kinds and still nothing she wont eat the pellets either and i dont have any herbs or baby food/critical care and nowhere is open now to get anything from.

(shes still lying in the litter tray)

Also i only have one syringe which is for my other bunnies antibiotics can i use this to syringe mashed pellets/porridge??? If so how would i go about cleaning it before/after. Sorry for all the questions :oops:

My bunnies are getting done on friday and i am dreading it even though i know its for the best. i will be watching this closely for reasurance and tips.

Hope your bun is recovering well

Well i fell asleep last night although i did see her move out of her litter tray and drink from the bowl, woke up this morning and shes in the litter tray again :?

I'm going to go to the shops and see if i can find a syringe and get some baby food/critical care.

Can anyone tell me if they sell anything that would be useful at PAH as i can get there?

Goodmorning hun my 2 have been eating hay this morning and did you try your bunny with some basil cos thats all mine ate thru the night they also had a small amount of their pellets this morning but not many try some coriander too thats got a strong smell to it, i been syringing water into them again this morning, they still not moving about much but are pooin and weein which i think is a good sign , this has been one of the worst moments in my life and anyone else thats guna be goin thru this my heart goes out to you :love::love:

Back