• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Is this normal for a vets or am i being crazy??

Hi

Just wondering if i could get some opinions before i go slighlty mad!

I foster rabbits for the rspca, i currently have 5 in my care, ben and josh a bonded pair of brothers and simon and is two brothers that like in the wendyhouse.

simon and his brothers must be about 7-8 months old, when they came to me the owner said she thought they were boys, i had a look and agreed.
took them to the vet the next week cause they wernt very well and she said they were all girls. and simon (simona!) had a heart murmer but the would monter it carefully when they spay her. i then booked them in to be spayed a few weeks later.

took them down to be spayed, had them checked by a nurse....all girls.....all fine left them there and got a call a hour later to say that they were infact all boys and couldent be nutered cause their bits hadnt droped.....and they couldnent nuter simon cause of his heart murmmer.

Have now left it a couple of months before taking the boys to the vet to be nutered this morning.....when i spoke to them on the phone i explaned bout simon and said that as they were bonded i didnt want to split them up for the day so would it be ok if they all came to the vets....they said yes.

got there this morning and they put the two brothers in seperate cages and told me simon couldent stay, they also recon one of his brothers is infact a girl!

sooo i was wondering if it was normal for the vets to split up three bonded rabbits when neutering, i can understand for a bit afterwards whilst they come round but surley not all day??

fingers crossed everything will be ok

rachel

aw what a nightmare. so mine are seperated at the mo. ted was supposed to be a boy and after several different vets that couldn't find his nuts i decided to have a check myself and ted was infact a girl so they can get it wrong. i hope they all pull through ok. good luck. :love: :wave:

I think that's very unreasonable for them to say they can stay together on the phone and then make you take him home again :(

Are these vets experienced with rabbits at all? It's not uncommon to make a mistake with sexing in the early stages but repeatedly on a few occasions is a bit suspiscious.

As for keeping bonded rabbits together, it depends on how quickly they come round from the operation and what their behaviour is like....any humping would be problematic and a few rabbits don't adjust their behaviour accordingly for their ill partner, though this is rarer.

There are some vets who don't consider it necessary to keep bonded pairs together but this isn't always related to their level of experience.

My vets always keep bonded buns together in the same cage, except for when they are just coming round from the GA but they all go straight back in together.

nno this is wrong my vets alwasy let bonded buns stay togehter.within reason. obviously if i had about 10/11 in a groupo i guess it wouldl be hard due to caage space but pairs or trios it should be fine.

well just heard from the vets, they have had their opps and are both boys and both fine

should i coment about the bonded rabbit issue then, if it was up to me i wouldnt use them but its the one i have to use for the rspca rabbits

well just heard from the vets, they have had their opps and are both boys and both fine

should i coment about the bonded rabbit issue then, if it was up to me i wouldnt use them but its the one i have to use for the rspca rabbits

its entirely up to you. i would put your complaint into the rspca rather than the vets personally as you are acting for them and itwould be better to make them aware be very wary when re introducing them as the bond could now be broken. also be careful that when the bun witha heart murmers hormones kick in he could fal lout with his brothers xx

yer slightly worried bout that as i am leaving it up to my parents as i have to go to work in a mo.....just instructed them to watch them for a bit and make sure they arnt ripping each others ears off!

fingers crossed!

My bridge bun Monty was also "claimed" by a rabbit savvy vet that he has heart murmur issue. In the end, it isn't true, there is a very health sensitive issue (forgot the name) that can cause a mis-diagnosis as heart murmur.

My 2nd rabbit savvy vet, literally the dept. head in this whole town, confirms it's not a heart murmur.

If I find that article, I'll let you know. It's from the BSAVA rabbit medicine book

I took in 2 brothers for neuter - it was an early one & I was a bit mad when they handed them back in separate carriers saying "boys can't live together".

It turned out to be a vet nurse that had decided it - but I did give them an earful. If they had found any evidence of fighting, I wouldn't have minded, but they got on fine:?

Happy Hopping - if you could find a little more info on the heart thing for me it would be great, i am taking simon at my cost to a very good rabbit vet on tuesday, (fingers crossed the other vet got it wrong) on tuesday for a second opinion

Update on other rabbits, got home from work yesterday evening and parents said they had put them in together and given them some food as i had instructed and they were more intrested in the food thank each other.....right little pigs!

I have to check one of the boys bits tomorow as it was aparently weeping a bit at the vets.....part from that every ones ok and looking for new homes!

rachel

Back