• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

bale buyers..where do you store your hay?

lottielouise

Wise Old Thumper
Exactly as I have said where do you store your hay?

Go sick of trampling to P@H every Saturday so I am getting hay from the same place I get my A&P I hope it will be ok, but a large bale of p@h is around £4.99 and lasts about three weeks. Although the buns are getting better at eating hay so it is going down a lot quicker. Lady on the phone said hers were 3ft by around 18inches for 3.50 plus 1.50 delivery that is about 6 P@H bale in my mind, if not a bit more!.

so saves me time and money.

But where do I can I store it? I have a black bin with lid would that be ok. It is not air tight though

We get ours from a farm shop. They wrap it for us and we cover it in these sheets we have and put it on top of one of hutches. :D

we use those bags u get that are like skips where they come and collect them, like industrial bags, wrap the hay up and store it in our workshop

In the back of my van! Pain to be honest and one day I hope to get a hay shed as we go through over a bale a week and I buy 6-8 each visit.

I made a rack for the one I use at the time in my shed so that it stands on it's end and I 'peel' off the top 'wedge' Works for me. Just made it out of wooden battens and some boarding.:D

I bought a couple of chest/trunk thingies from B&Q, and have one in the shed (it's a bit rickety, so worth investing in the more expensive ones if you want it outdoors!), and a stronger one outside that is totally weatherproof (I keep the lid tied down for the windy weather). I buy huge bales of Oxbow timothy hay (nowhere near so expensive if you buy in bulk), and the large bales of dust free hay, and store them like that.

I'm pretty sure they do proper bale bags with a zip and everything. I think someone posted a pic last week. Though I reckon a heavy duty wheelie bin bag would be cheaper.

oh thanks guys, certainly gave me a few ideas! wheelie bin sounds great, there has been one at the bottom of the street for weeks, I might go and 'rescue' it.

Might be fun when it gets toward the end I only have little legs!

Does it matter that it is not air tight?

I get mine wrapped and then transfer it into a single duvet cover and keep in the garage.

I'm a hay nightmare and always end up with clouds of it blowing everywhere and stuck to me front and back (even if I've only picked up a handful and carried it at arms length in front on me), and this helps keep it under control. My OH makes me sweep the garage daily for what I manage to spread around but has now thankfully stopped spot checking me before I'm allowed back in the house :oops:

Mine is inside an old single duvet cover and I've stuck it in what used to be a coal shed so it's kept nice and cool. I think the worst thing with hay is when it's kept in plastic and it sweats in a hot shed in summer. :?

I keep mine in a single duvet cover (thanks to the advice from this forum) and in one of those garden storage units it keeps nice and dry and it doesn't sweat. I also take the duvet with me when I buy the hay as I have to carry it through my house as I have no back entrance into my garden it keeps hay out of the car and the house.

Does it matter that it is not air tight?

It doesn't want to be air tight or it will heat up. It needs to be able to get the air to it a bit but not so it can get damp. Duvet covers are ideal or hessian sacks.

I would only use a wheely bin if you are sure that it is totally dis-infected as there may be spores or bacteria lurking even if it looks clean. It (the bacteria) would then love to move into your lovely new hay - nice and warm and dry!

I have a big computer box, so I put my 65 lb. rectangular bale of hay in the box, then I slide the whole box in my closet, so there is air to breathe, and I open the closet several times a day to refill the hay to various spots in the house

onebaleofhay016it.jpg

onebaleofhay023ty.jpg

pretty green eh?

Back