• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hair in Lolas poo!

~ Cat ~

Wise Old Thumper
Hi folks.

I have searched for this on the forum so forgive me if it has already been covered.

Lola did a poo last night and it was strung together with little hairs. I do groom her on a daily basis and wondered how I can help her if she is getting hair balls etc? Is there anything I can add to her feed?

Thank you so much!

I've been on this forum for over 4 years now and a well respected person (who doesn't post anymore :( ) advised using liquid paraffin for this. I have used it, just one dose and the "bracelets" stopped.

However there are some on here who say not to use it, at the end of the day it's up to you but I've had no problems with the occasional use.

i used to panic when i saw stringy poos.. but if they are eating lots of hay and your grooming away as much hair as you can then there shouldnt be any problems..

sooz often says, its best to see hair in the poops than non at all (when they are in moult) because its passing thro just fine and isnt clogging up the system :D

some people give some sort of tablets which i think are pineapple extracts, sorry i cant remeber what they are called :oops:

I'm pretty sure that as long as the bun is healthy and is eating a good high fibre(i.e. mostly hay)diet there isn't a problem. The hair will pass through the system as it's supposed to. However as I'm convinced that mother nature sometimes plays horrendous tricks on rabbits and their digestive systems I hedge my bets by feeing mine an inch cube of fresh pineapple twice a week during a heavy moult. I think it's something to do with enzymes(not present in the juice unless it's freshly squeezed) helping to break down the hair, but I suspect it might have more to do with the high fibre content of the pineapple itself.:lol:

I'm pretty sure that as long as the bun is healthy and is eating a good high fibre(i.e. mostly hay)diet there isn't a problem. The hair will pass through the system as it's supposed to. However as I'm convinced that mother nature sometimes plays horrendous tricks on rabbits and their digestive systems I hedge my bets by feeing mine an inch cube of fresh pineapple twice a week during a heavy moult. I think it's something to do with enzymes(not present in the juice unless it's freshly squeezed) helping to break down the hair, but I suspect it might have more to do with the high fibre content of the pineapple itself.:lol:

The enzymes in the pineapple actually break the food wich surrounds the hairs in the stomach to smaller pieces and helpes digestion that way. It can't break down hair.

Ik gave mine prozyme when molding and now I switched to protexin. I only give it when their poo is getting irregular or tiny during molding.

i got ted these things called treat ems which are for this and she's stop having stringy poos. but if you go on to the hay experts you can by a tub of papaya and pinapple cubes which do the same thing, think i'll get those the next time, you can get those treat ems of The Pet Extraordinarium website. :wave:

Pineapple is an odd one isnt it!

When I worked for the RSCPA we used to feed the dogs who liked to eat their own pooh pineapple - apparently they dont like the taste when it has pineapple in it!

Thank you - I am sure Lola will love it as she seems to be a bit of a sugar freak! She ran off with Steff's fruit pastilles last night and threw a right stomp when we fought for them back off her!

Someone recommended Bromelain tablets from the health shop (pineapple flavour) - apparently this is the enzyme that helps break down the hair I think.:? Mine love them anyway - give 1 a day during a moult.

Isn't it where she's malting and she's grooming herself?
I thought it was perfectly normal even though i've never come across it with mine.

Back