• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

just found this

Hummm mixed views.

Did they promote breeders and rabbit and Guinea pig living together? Sorry did i miss it lol......

"Guinea-pigs and rabbits are good fun: awake during the day and happy to be handled"

The happy to be handled part is completely wrong for a lot of buns. :roll:

"Also, unless you let your rabbit in the home as a house pet, it should be kept in a pair or with a guinea-pig, as they are very social animals."
:shock::shock:

Quite a few people have commented at the bottom of that page on the innacuracies of the article.

Mmm I personally dont think buns are really a childs pet, but thats my view.As obviously they dont like being picked up etc and as we know they like their own space etc.Saying that i have a 8yr old and a 11yr old, but they have both been bought up to respect the fact that our buns will come to them, if they want affection etc. Its all about guidance, not shoved in a hutch the bottom of the garden:cry:, plus the fact that in the cold months when they tend too lose interest.:)

This bit upsets me about rats...

They usually live for two years so are an ideal first pet and can be replaced cheaply.

Can be replaced cheaply?!?!?!

Emma Magnus is one of the so-called 'experts' involved with the RWA :lol: :lol:

Quote Emma Magnus:

Also, unless you let your rabbit in the home as a house pet, it should be kept in a pair or with a guinea-pig, as they are very social animals.

I'm gonna keep quiet about my views on the RWA...I think this speaks for itself ;)

The only two bits of advice the questioner needs is:

1) Are YOU prepared to look after the the animal, whatever it may be, as a 9 year old is way too young to be left soley responsible for an animal and the novelty will wear off after a few weeks.

2) No you shouldn't get her a rabbit if the family doesn't have time to look after a dog as to care properly for a rabbit is as time consuming as any dog.

Who died and appointed Carol Smillie a pet expert anyway?

I give up, humanity is doomed if these are the 'experts'...

Does anyone else get pee'd off with the animal programmes on TV that never show rabbits suffering but always concentrate on dogs,cats and horses. I am sure if more attention was given to buns then this kind of nonsense wouldn't happen.

*trudges off to clean the rabbits, who have decided to throw the litter tray :roll:*

Emma

How come my other halfs comment written by me, is right at the top and mine has not been posted.

I suppose it get the point across!

Please don't buy from a breeder, there are thousands of buns in rescue centres from babies born to two 'females' to those sent to the centre from children who have lost interest. If you buy from a breeder you only encourage them to breed more = more bunnies in rescue centres from bored children

Denys Lewis, Oldham, United Kingdom

i have put a commetn on ther but tehre isnt enough room to type what i want.. stupid people so iv had to put only part of what i wanted to say grrr

I have been around animals since i was born and i love them so much. I think it is important to let children have pets at a young age because it gives them something to do in the day if they are bored and gives them the experience of looking after something. I am a rabbit breeder and i have sold many baby rabbits to families with young children and they love them. I think they should be given something that only lives a short life because they will become attached to it.

Short life!?!?! some buns on here are well over 8 years old and that is the norm How can that be short. Buns have short lives because people don't look after them properly, take them to the vets then wonder why they die. Then they go and pick another one up from the breeders to live s similar short and sad life with little attention or understanding

Back