• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Sore hocks

confusedman

Mama Doe
:(
Ups... I am very dissappointed.
I was chatting with Lionheadluver about how much I wanted to have a Mini Rex to bond with Fanta and she told me "the only bad thing about rexes are that they can get sore hocks, so they need to be on hay all the time".
Fanta lives indoors in a plastic cage with nothing on the bottom. She runs in the kitchen that have wooden flooring and in the garden (concrete).
I am afraid if we adopt a Mini Rex maybe he's gonna develope thar problem and we wouldnt like him to have any problem.
Anyone has more information about sore hocks>?
:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

I was chatting with Lionheadluver about how much I wanted to have a Mini Rex to bond with Fanta and she told me "the only bad thing about rexes are that they can get sore hocks, so they need to be on hay all the time".
Fanta lives indoors in a plastic cage with nothing on the bottom. She runs in the kitchen that have wooden flooring and in the garden (concrete).
I am afraid if we adopt a Mini Rex maybe he's gonna develope thar problem and we wouldnt like him to have any problem.

Could you put lino in the cage at all?

xxx

yes as rexes fur is less dense they are very suseptible to sore hocks as are the larger breeds(as they carry mroe wieght around) other rabbits can get sore hocks too. rexes are also prone to changes in temperature haveing a bigger affect again because of tehir coat density... the cage should ideally have a nice lining of thick hay or paper bedding or towels anyway for fanta as it would keep her warm and snug. could you turf the garden? i would speak to ravens rexes and jacks jane who both know a lot about rexes and could possibly help you more with flooring soloutions?

Or you could get some vetbed (fleecy dog bed) to put in the cage, rexes are more prone to sore hocks but lots may never get it :)

Lino?? What is lino?? Im gonna check :)
The problem with Fanta is she's very messy in her cage (even if she's getting better now) and so I dont think we could cover the bottom of the cage with any material...

Last edited:
Rexes tend not to do well on hard/abrasive surfaces.
They are better on a substrate of soft/thick hay or straw and grass.

Here is an example of a Rexes sore hocks

Picture653-1.jpg

How about a mini rex which is a smaller breed, so weighs less, so may not have the extreme amount of problems that regular rexes have.

Lino is linoleum, that is rolled down onto bathroom floors, or similar.

How about a mini rex which is a smaller breed, so weighs less, so may not have the extreme amount of problems that regular rexes have.

Lino is linoleum, that is rolled down onto bathroom floors, or similar.

unfortunatly a mini rex still has less thick fur on its paws whic his worn down easily. :(

I know it still has that tendency towards it, I just wondered if the fact it was lighter might mean it had less of a tendency to suffer as badly, that's all :) Juist thought I'd toss the idea out there.

Uff the picture.... poor thing....
It has been months we are looking for a Mini Rex and never read anything about problems related to this breed.
I am afraid this is quite a strong point to avoid having this rabbit as he would be suppose to walk ran in hard superficies.... :cry:

I did have 3 rexes,but only one suffered with sore hocks Shadow lives in a shed with lino on the foor with carpet and vetbed she goes out in a run during the day on slabs shes fine:) Vinnie is a house rabbit on carpet again hes fine

Okay sorry dont want to take over your thread but im worried.

I have recently moved my French lop to my playhouse with her partner as she was suffering with sore, matted feet.

And i moved the four from the playhouse out to the hutch/run combo which is on concrete...

I think Bella is a Rex...correct me if im wrong...:oops::oops:

She really doesnt have much hair on her legs or base of her feet....

Photo-0254.jpg

I have recently moved my French lop to my playhouse with her partner as she was suffering with sore, matted feet.

And i moved the four from the playhouse out to the hutch/run combo which is on concrete...

Photo-0254.jpg

I dont think she is a Rex :)
She may have some Rex in her but her coat is too long for a Rex
She is absolutely stunning :love:

with regards to the sore hock problem i would never have a rex running on concrete that would be asking for trouble. do you have carpet in your home?
if you dont and you want the mini to live inside i would section off a large area to have soft carpet or vet bed to prevent the sore hocks most rexs feet start to go bald on the hocks after 5mths of age but some breeders are breeding this out slowly my Orange Standard Rex is a yr old and still no baldness but its the only one like this i ve managed to beed and he does have a few gaurd hairs, usally the rexs with alot of gaurd hairs tend not to lose thier hocks with care but these are the ones you dont want to show but do want as stud bucks to add density to the rexs coat. If still do want a mini rex go for one with tons of gaurd hairs and defro do not run it on concrete.

How about putting Equine rubber matting down on the concrete? I have an English Spot that has had sore hocks - I still check him over once a week as the bulk of his time is on laminate - but sudocrem & the rubber matting definitely sorted him out.

I also had a Rex that had no sore hock problems.

I think we have to give up the idea of getting a mini rex. As I wrote before, this rabbit would only have access to the kitchen area, with wooden flooring, the garden, with concrete and the plastic cage. I think is better to avoid problems (for the rabbit basically) getting another breed less prone to this problem.
As my partner fell in love with the breed I was trying to get one but when he's back Ill make him read your opinions and see the pictures and I think he's gonna agree inmediately.
Thanks for your help!!!!!!!!!!!
:love:

Photo-0254.jpg

Equine rubber matting on top of the concrete;)

Back