• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

HELP! Orange Wee!

mrshorsy

Warren Scout
Gwen is litter trained so never really noticed the colour of her wee but tonight while she was visiting us indoors she missed her tray and wee'd on the floor. It was a really dark orange colour almost like rust!
Is this normal or should I be concerned?

I'm not an expert by any means but could it possibly be bloody wee?

Is she dehydrated? This can cause dark wee in animals.

I hope someone with more experience and knowledge can come up with something more informative :)

I'm very new to bunny keeping. Is there a way I would know if she were dehydrated?
Is bloody wee bad?

Rabbit wee can vary from clear to dark red, depending on what they have eaten. It also goes darker if it sits for a while. If it is thick and chalky, or has blood clots in it, then that's when there is a problem with the urine (although cystitis can show before you get blood clots, but with behhviour, not urine colour).

It's perfectly normal for bunny wee to range from completely clear to very very dark, and it's usually down to what they've been eating. Have you been giving dandelions? They always turn wee very dark. The first time it happened to me I was so worried I scooped some of it up and rushed my poor Gracie down to the vet. They tested it (I think to humour me as they could see how distressed I was), but it was completely normal, and after I'd got over the shock, they explained that things like dandelion and other foods can do it.

Then my next bunny Harvey used to do what looked like blood in his wee, but again it was just very dark. Unless you're worried there may be something else going on, I would put it down to something different that Gwen has eaten - have you introduced her to any different food/veg?

any foods high in protein will cause a bunnys wee to become discoloured this ranges from dandilion leaves to rose leaves and carrots. it is absolutly normal. now if it is blood in the wee (
test by getting a bit of kitchen rol and soaking some onto it... discoloured wee will go red-orange colour...whereas blood will turn brown when it dries. if you are worried see your vet but it is likely jsut what she has been eating x

I'm glad i read this post otherwise i would of panicked too seeing Fiver peeing dark.

Hope it is just her pee colour :)

xxx

Dont know where I'd be without this site! You guys are so quick to answers questions!!
She was eating some weeds in the garden yesterday which I think were Groundsel maybe that has done it?

Dont know where I'd be without this site! You guys are so quick to answers questions!!
She was eating some weeds in the garden yesterday which I think were Groundsel maybe that has done it?

I would definitely say it's that. Every year when I first start picking dandelions, my buns' wee goes very dark, and every time, even though I know it happens, I get a bit panicky, but then I calm down as I know it happens with dandelions, and it happens with both buns, so now I just laugh at myself for panicking :lol: I don't think I'll ever forget the first time with Gracie - I was in a right state, and the poor love got dragged down to the vet when she was perfectly healthy.

orange pee is normal, your bun went outside and ate some exotic plants, there are many threads on this subject. no worries

I had a simular problem recently.
I just got my rabbit speyed and her wee was bloody looking.
I asked the vet and it turned out to be the carrots she was eating making it red/orange in colour.
She would only eat carrots at first hence the wee..

ours have eaten some cauliflower leaves and a few carrots this week and i have just seen its very dark wee, my first thought was its blood

but now ive read this i think it just could be dark wee

i'm new

Thanks I have just noticed my bunny Pumpkin's wee is orangy pink and i had been feeding her beetroot stick treats so maybe it was that as awell as dandilions carrots was a shock i thoght she was bleeding

Thanks I have just noticed my bunny Pumpkin's wee is orangy pink and i had been feeding her beetroot stick treats so maybe it was that as awell as dandilions carrots was a shock i thoght she was bleeding

It's now ok i think it WAS the beetroot sticks

Oooh glad I found this, just noticed a recent patch of weewee and t was so orange in colour is was almost luminous. :oops: Glad it's nothing to worry about.

I just need to confirm this is normal! :p

She missed her litter tray this morning because she was all excited cos the cat was playing with her (they are friends :p)

She is still being her normal crazy/happy self so i'm not exactly worried, but it was definitely a shock! lol

SAM_0158.jpg

Normally Spring - Summer. Dunno how indigenous they are to Australia.

yeah thats what i thought.. :p

I've seen them at mums, but couldn't remember when and she said there aren't any around.. :p

Can't till summer! and to see my little bunny-girls face when she tries it! lol

Back