• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Canac Household Flea Spray Safe?

FluffyBun

Warren Scout
Well we've finished the bunny shed, mouseproofed it, etc but before I move buns in I want to use a flea spray on it, as there are water rats, mice and lots of feral cats where we live - anything might have been in that old shed in the past few years before we cleared it!

I already have this

but not sure if it's safe for an area where rabbits will live, as it just mentions dogs and cats. I think it's the usual pyrethrum based stuff. I can;t find any info online as to whether it's safe for buns. Does anyone know? Or is there an alternative you can recommend that you know to be safe? Am visiting the vet anyway on Weds but I wanted to treat the shed before then and don;t want to pay vet prices if I can pay online prices - or preferably use up my Canac.

Anyone know if it's safe to use? And if not - what can I use? I know the feral cats are in and out of my outhouse which is next door to this shed. The shed itself is now an impregnable fortress so no worries about them getting in - but I am concerned they have been in there in the past!

Cheers, all xxx

I've used pyrethrum based household flea spray in areas where my buns lived. It's never caused problems. The instructions usually say to keep pets out for an hour or so after applying, but leave it a couple of days if you're worried :)

Ta, I may well go for it.

I use Frontline on my dog, and have seen people mention Advantage for buns on here. Would Advantage work as a preventative, in the same way as Frontline?

Ta, I may well go for it.

I use Frontline on my dog, and have seen people mention Advantage for buns on here. Would Advantage work as a preventative, in the same way as Frontline?

You can use Advantage as a preventative, but most people tend to just use it whilst the flea problem is being dealt with. Afterwards, as long as you keep up to date with your dog's flea prevention, then your bun should be fine.

Remember not to use Frontline on your rabbit because it is toxic to them.

Also try to avoid walking your dog in areas with lots of wild rabbits in case he/she picks up rabbit fleas carrying the myxi virus

Thanks for that - it's great advice. The last bit about where we walk mutt is problematic though as we live in the middle of nowhere and I have no car in the day so am forced to walk the mutt round the farm tracks etc where we live (no such thing as pavements, either!) The area is plastered with mainly hares, but also wild buns, badgers and foxes... It's nigh on impossible to walk dog anywhere that isn't where some or all of these wild things live.:( We also are surrounded by fields so no stopping them coming right across our garden by night.

I will just keep on Frontlining the dog - and will wait for the next non rainy day to de-flea bunny shed.

We have a small section of comunal garden before our own garden starts. Our old neighbours had a long haired retriever and life was a constant battle against flea infestations (I Frontlined their dog once or twice when they weren;t looking it was that bad). Since they moved out, our new neighbours are great - keep their dog de-flea'd and we're just not seeing anything on our's anymore (although I still Frontline and Drontal her).

If I can avoid directly de fleaing bunny I will as I don;t want to overload her with unnecessary chemicals, but worth knowing about all this just in case!

Thanks again!

Back