• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

conjunctivitis question

heleni

Warren Scout
Button has conjunctivitis again. He had it a couple of months ago and it's come back. I've booked him into the vet for tomorrow evening because I can't get there before, and I can't buy his lotion over the counter. In the meantime, would it be OK to use the eye lotion that I got last time? It says to dispose after a month though, it's been two now. I don't want Button to be in discomfort though.

Also, it's fucithalmic lotion I've got. I wonder if in the future I can use the human version, if that can be bought over the counter. Would be cheaper than taking him to the vet for a prescription every couple of months!

Hi!

I wouldn't use the old lotion because it may well have bacteria and other nasties in it after a couple of months. Optrex Eyewash or cooled boiled water will do until you see a vet tomorrow (use different pieces of cotton wool for each eye or dribble it over from a syringe).

Has you vet checked your rabbits teeth? They can cause eye problems/weeping if they are troublesome.

I would also ask your vet about the possibilty of taking a swab or trying a different sort of drop/cream if the problem comes back again.

Hope this helps

FC x

Thanks for your post, that's useful advice. I will try the cooled boiled water instead of the lotion. I should have a new syringe somewhere to use, or I have cotton buds. The vet usually does a full health check when they go in, so it should include teeth.

I took Button to the vet, and he checked his eyes and teeth. He has very slight teeth spurs but nothing to worry about since he's eating so happily. He does have conjuntivitis, so he's been given some new eye drops - much runnier than the fucithalmic lotion, so much easier to use. The vet said that the drops can be kept longer than it says on the packet. He said that any bacteria would be killed by the antibiotics, and the worst that would happen is that it wouldn't be so effective.

Usefully, the vet looked into Button's eyes with a light and was able to give me some idea of his eyesight - very little. He can see light and dark, but not really shapes. No wonder he's so nervous all the time!

I tried the cooled water on Monday night, btw, Button didn't think too much of having a load of water poured in, though I think I got wetter than he did!

also it might be that a differnt antibiotic would help? tiacil is a good non sting one, also you could get an x ray done as the eyes will sometimes weep when the tooth roots have grown up inside the mouth.. another thing to check for is that it isnt a allergy if he is on woodchips or sawdust i would remove it put him to paer bedding adn a very noon dust hay. or straw. you could also check for it being a blocked tear duct but this need to be done with the smallest tube by a vet and a local anestetic put in eye before its done it mustnt be force if its flushed as this can rupture the duct and is really a last resort. x

Most eye ointments can be kept for up to six months if you keep them refridgerated. But if the end of the nozzle contacts the eyes the infection can be taken back in to the tube and spoil the remaining treatment so be careful when applying the drops or ointment. Hope your bunny is feeling better soon :)

Back