• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Both My Little Girls

wendle

Warren Veteran
Both my Little girls are in at the vets in the morning to be spayed i feel so sick inside, how will i pick them out of their carrier when we get home so as to put them into their cage, i so hope they both come thru it okay any advice from you lovely people would be well appreciated :(

You will still be able to pick your bun up, as long as you get them under their front legs and hold their bum for support so they cant kick out.

If you think it will be a hassle, put the carrier in the hutch and let them crawl out, if this is possible.

Remember that you will need to keep them indoors for the first atleast 24 hours, as they will be prone to thier temps dropping, if they are not already indoors.

Just keep your eye on how much they are drinking and ensure they are pooing.

If they dont like their food try some fresh parsley leaves :) mine love it.

Any more info just ask hun :) put your mind at ease

I truly hope they both do ok.

If you can, allow them to walk themselves, if that's not feasible, or they won't, they will probably be dopey which will make it easier. Make sure you are calm, and then with one hand supporting somewhere near the tail, and then others very much under the front paws you should be able to lift them with minimal discomfort. Basically just avoid the whole area where they have been operated on.

When you go to pick them up make sure you come away with some pain meds, and use them for about 5 days or so. Some vets still think rabbits don't need it, but they do. I wouldn't want my uterus removed with no painkillers, so why should they, it will hurt them, even if they show minimal pain.

I hope they both do ok.

Aww thankyou Melly they live outside, but i bought a indoor cage just specially for after they spay, i have bought a snugglesafe to keep them warm, and my son bought me a flecta bed from P@H for them to lie on while they get well, i will keep them indoors at least 7 days while i no they are well enough to go back outside, their fave food is spring greens, basil, coriander so i bought a couple a tubs in today im praying to god they are both gunna be ok, i lost my other little fella back in june to stasis and still cry for him so am praying and hoping my 2 little girls come thru this fine :eek:)

Thankyou Sky-O , i have some Baytril in the fridge and i have a tube of Fibreplex and some science recovery sachets and also Avipro plus would i need to use any of these at any time please :eek:)

You will need some sort of pain meds (generally metacam is prescribed).

You can use fibreplex or the science recovery stuff if she doesn't eat and needs some help. The baytril is an antibiotic so should only be used if she gets an infection (at which point she will need to see a vet anyway).

You sound very prepared with their favourite types of food and stuff. They may well be very dopey tonight and not do much, but if you can tempt them to eat a little of something, that's a good start. When you are with them after, make sure you feel calm, and don't allow yourself to feel distressed or worried or anything around them because they will pick up on it.

Aww thankyou Melly they live outside, but i bought a indoor cage just specially for after they spay, i have bought a snugglesafe to keep them warm, and my son bought me a flecta bed from P@H for them to lie on while they get well, i will keep them indoors at least 7 days while i no they are well enough to go back outside, their fave food is spring greens, basil, coriander so i bought a couple a tubs in today im praying to god they are both gunna be ok, i lost my other little fella back in june to stasis and still cry for him so am praying and hoping my 2 little girls come thru this fine :eek:)

No probs, I have been through two speys now :)
I think that sounds lovely what yu have done.. Remember not to put any shavings down or much hay, just enough for them to eat :)

Im sure youll be a great inside sitting bunny mum for them :)
I would not recommend leaving them in for a week, as it will be very cold for them by the time they go back out.. Bugsy stayed in for two nights and then was absolutely fine. Lottie had a lot of complications, including staples and a cone and stayed in for 7 days..

Fingers crossed yours will be fine :) Sounds like you have done your research and are doing all your can :)

Thankyou so much to both of you i will let you no tomorrow how they go on fingers crossed :eek:)x

Both my babies are now in surgery cant stop crying everything is ready for when they come home fingers crossed they both come thru this :(

just to let you friendly ppl no my 2 bunnys have had their op they are now home lying down they are pooin n weein they have eaten a small amount of coriander and a tiny piece of apple they seem ok just sleepy at the minute am guna keep eye on them all night i have put their snugglesafe in so they are cosy enough dont think they friends with me yet tho Bless :love:

So pleased they are doing well. Its such a relief when they are home and start eating and pooing. Hope they keep doing well. Pam.

Back