• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Need Advice ASAP!

Kait09

New Kit
I have two male Dwarf Rabbits, It seems one male (Rorey ) Is the dominant one and the other one (Jed) is having a bit of trouble.

Both Rabbits were brought together and have been together since they were 5 weeks old and they are now about 3 months, Jed seems to not be getting as much food and is quite skinny compared to Rorey.
He is also being attacked all the time by Rorey which has left Jed with Scabs and lots of Sores all over his back, Poor Jed is the most loveable Rabbit he really does loves human attention and Rorey is the total opposite he hates being touched and picked up.

What can i do to solve this problem I love Jed and i dont liek seeing him being treated like this !

Please Help

Kait:D

I think you need to separate them, and then get them neutered, and see if you can rebond them back.

It might be that Jed is being bullied, it might be that Rorey sees him as being on his territory and wants him out, either way, Jed needs some TLC to look after his wounds (bathing them, etc), and he also needs to be fed up to get to a healthy weight.

They are both Neutered, Thanks for the advice I will clean Jed and keep him inside untill he gets a bit better.

That's good they are both neutered :)

It may just be that they won't ever be able to be together. Boy pairs can work, but they sometimes don't (same with any bonded pair) and if someone is getting bullied, that could be an indiciator it might not work.

Another possibility is that there is something wrong with Jed (molar spurs? or something else) and his condition has deteriorated and Rorey has sensed a weakness in him and so has been picking on him (animals do that). Might be worth getting him checked out.

Hello Kait90

I am no expert, so I can only go my experience with my 2 boys.

Mine are brothers and had fights when they were young, and like yours, one is substantially bigger than the other.

I had to seperate them until they were neutered and then waited 6 weeks before trying to re-bond them.

I sent them away to be bonded and everything was great for a while and then about 2 weeks later they had another fight. Nothing too major, but still upsetting.

We did NOT seperate them again, but as hard as it was, we let them sort their differences out. They still have a bit of bottom nipping and chasing, but touch wood, they seem fine together.

Eric the bigger one is still the dominant one and Ernie knows not to step out of line.

Sorry this is so long.

How long ago were they neutered? Their hormones are still raging a bit for some weeks afterwards, so perhaps it will calm down soon.

Hopefully someone on here can offer advice to help you, but I hope you can sort it out, because when my 2 boys are settled for the night, they look sooooooooo cute together.

Let's hope you have a happy endng

Back