• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Lower quality hay better for buns?

~ Cat ~

Wise Old Thumper
Hi folks.

I bought Lola some Timothy hay and she wasnt over enthralled. I did a bit of Googling and a lot of sites say that the lower quality hay is better for buns rather than the expensive stuff (good news for me):D

Has anyone heard this at all?

Lola seems to like the cheapo stuff a lot better.

Timothy Hay is the best, you always want to give your bun timothy Hay, and make sure that's 80% min. of their total diet

As long as they eat a lot of hay it doesn't really matter what type, yes Timothy is very good but not if they don't like it and don't eat it, whatever they eat most of is best :)

Timothy Hay is the best, you always want to give your bun timothy Hay, and make sure that's 80% min. of their total diet

Not if she doesnt eat it :( She just doesnt touch it - she seems to prefer the crunchy longer stems in the cheap hay.

Mine eat all types of hay, but luckily they like the cheaper meadow hay and so they only get a few handfuls of the more expensive hays. One thing I noticed is that whenever they eat the "Oat, Wheat and Barley" mix (which smells lovely), their poos get much bigger and look more golden than dark brown. That has to be a good thing. :lol:

it depends what your bunny likes, my bun really likes any form of meadow hay.any hay provided they eat it is fine or grass instead though introduce gradually as some buns find it too rich. main thing is they are getting the fibre, they need. any hay is great it just depend son your bunnys prefeerence.

Alfie and Bubbles are eating cheap farm hay at the moment and they love it. :love: Good for them, good for my pocket and their poos are always huge and golden brown too. :lol: They aren't so keen on the cheap petshop meadow hay though and I can see the difference too.

I give them a tiny bit of Excel Supa Forage as a treat every morning and the bag lasts ages - but a 1kg bag of that cost the same as a bale of farm hay. :shock:

my pair much prefer the cheaper putre pastures meadow hay to the expensive timothy hay i buy them.. the upside to this is i give just a handful a day of the timothy and it lasts for ages.... on a downside for my pocket they totally love the oat wheat and barley hay which costs the same as the timothy, so much so they try to take the bag from my hands :lol::lol:

the last couple of bags of timothy has been dustier and shorter than it was about 6 months ago, but the pure pastures just looks yummy :D

Lolas poos seem to be better on the cheaper hay and less smelly. I love it when she "bunny flops" whilst still munching on a piece of hay!

alvin stands over the litter tray and pulls out a huge long strand of hay longer than him.. looks like hes preying :love::love::love::love:

Back