• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

cutting nails

Jayney

Mama Doe
how often do you cut your rabbits nails.

i have just had to cut cerys nails for the first time, but i have only ever had to cut willows once (about 18months ago) and they are still fine.

they both live outside and their run is on concrete so i presume that helps to keep them short

Concrete does keep them short, but as my girls are rexes and they can't go on concrete, I have to cut their nails every few weeks, which is a bit eventful. :lol:

Even if the concrete is keeping their nails short, it won't wear down the dewclaws, so they need regular checking to avoid growing round and into the bunnies paw.

I do mine as and when needed, normally every 6 weeks or so, but sometimes that only does mean the dewclaws because some love to dig on concrete (strange bunnies)

the vet nurse looked at me in disgust when she cut alvins, cus they had grew quite long (in 6 months) his quicks are now quite long and may never shrink back :oops::oops::oops:

ive been told i need to take them in every 3 months cus they are house bunnies....

still waiting for missy sj to do before and after pics so i know when claws need cutting :(

I daren't even think about doing Flopsies. His latest attempt on my life is just starting to heal :)

My vet normally does my bunnies when i take them for their vacs,i forgot to ask this time though and they do need doing.

I don't do mine that often as their run is on concrete, they also dig concrete which must file them down!!! I do have to cut more off the dew claw though. Both their nails are black so can't see the insides, so I only clip off the very ends. Saying that though, on Desmond, his middle fingers have white nails so can see the blood!

I cut baileys tonight, alyssas haven't needed doing yet as only had her a month...

I tend to coccoon him in a towel and get it done quick as i don't like to stress em out.

Casper and marshas are fine, they wear down on concrete and i check thier dew claw once a week.

xx

They all had their pedicures yesterday! I get round to it about once every 6 weeks - 2 months. The little bunnies are fine, easy to handle.
The big bunnies, I hold and the o/h clips. My buns are really good actually or is that well-trained:?) , so it's not too much of a problem.
I did make Pepper bleed once, and felt terrible:(

They all had their pedicures yesterday! I get round to it about once every 6 weeks - 2 months. The little bunnies are fine, easy to handle.
The big bunnies, I hold and the o/h clips. My buns are really good actually or is that well-trained:?) , so it's not too much of a problem.
I did make Pepper bleed once, and felt terrible:(

I once made Marsha bleed when i first got her and i was so upset :cry:

she just ran around and binkyed x

I normally have mine done when she goes for her myxi every six. Just booked her in to have hers done this weekend as one of them is really long. I did buy the clippers to just cut the end off but I chickened out.

Back