• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Cats and Rabbits

Dan_K

Warren Scout
Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone keeps rabbits and cats in the same house? My buns live indoors in a penned off section of a room but given time out to play in the rest of the house.

I was wondering if a cat would be able to live in the same house or if cats generally would not get on well with the buns. Ideally I wouldn't wanna restrict the cat to one room while I'm at work.

Any experiences or advice people have would be gratefully received.

Cats and rabbits can get on well togethe,r but they would have to be introduced carefully and both parties would have to be trustworthy (I had one of my buns attack my cat). It would need careful introduction, and I personally would not be comfortable ever leaving my cat and bunnies together, but I know some people do. Although, most of the people I know only do this if they are declawed, and indoor cats.

Although, most of the people I know only do this if they are declawed, and indoor cats.

Can I just say that de-clawing is evil :evil:

but as Sky-O says, if it's done right and the animals have the right personalities then it could work; but you must remember you are trying to bond a predator animal with a prey animal.

Can I just say that de-clawing is evil :evil:

Just wanted to say I didn't say I agreed with it, I'm personally not a fan, but that's what people I know have done. That's all :)

My cat is fully clawed, as my shoulder can show you :p:lol:

I have a 11 cats (3 are outdoor) and they're very good with the buns. Kitty is in my room nearly 24/7 with my buns. the other inddor cats get little contact with them since they arent allowed in my room but sometimes the buns run out and the cats just stare. the 3 outdoor cats interactive with them alot and they're very good with them.

Just wanted to say I didn't say I agreed with it, I'm personally not a fan, but that's what people I know have done. That's all :)

My cat is fully clawed, as my shoulder can show you :p:lol:

:lol::lol:

Just to thread-jack I did see (on here perhaps) you can get claw caps, which work like false nails, they glue on and protect things from the cat's claws :lol:

I have 2 cats and have never had any problems with them with the rabbits. Tinkerbell is free range in the house and always eats her food next to the cats when they eat theirs.

I think if you bring a young cat up around the bunnies and the cat isnt too hyper and into attacking everything it can work.
I have 3 house rabbits and got a kitten 18months ago. I think he thought they were cats or he was a rabbit to begin with as he used to sit in the room with them and try to copy them eating hay :roll::lol: He still sits with them occasionally now. Nala loves him and will follow him about and sit next to him. Simba just accepts him being about and doesnt really bother him. Fifi gets a bit frightened of him at first but she jumps if anything moves tbh.. today she ran at the cat and cat ran away :lol::lol: My cat has never shown aggression towards my rabbits but i still wouldnt leave them unsupervised in the house together. I always shut the door to rabbit's room if he is indoors and im going out or at night.

It depends on the rabbit and the cat. I had a rabbit who got on really well with my cat, they used to sleep together. But if the bun was out of her enclosure the cat would play attack her, I dont think the bun thaught it was play though. The two buns I have now can not be left unsupervised with the cat. So their enclosure is secured from cat attacks. The best answer is to be prepared.

Depends on the rabbit and cat.
My indoor bun Oscar gets on fine with my Cat Martell, however Oscar partner Jasmine is not so sure about Martell.

Gradual introduction and should be okay.

Same with my dog, hes okay with the buns running about. :)

I wouldnt leave them together unsupervised but my rabbit and cat used to get on fine, in fact, my cat was a little bit scared of snowy lol

Thanks for all the responses you've definitely given me some things to think about.

I would have thought Bob would be absolutely fine with a cat as he's more like a human than a rabbit, Mavis is really really timid though so may be a bit scared.

I thought it might be really nice to have another animal running about the place! But obviously not at the expense of upsetting the buns!

Oscar is the dark coloured rabbit, who is currently chasing the cat around...

SDC10550.jpg

SDC10551.jpg

Jasmine approaching the cat lol

SDC10557.jpg

Cat has now taken hiding on the sofa lol!!

xx

I have 4 cats, and 2 bunnys, my older bunny actually plays chase with 2 of my cats, running into bushes, whilst waiting for the cat to find him, then the cat runs into another bush peeking out for the rabbit, then they both dart across the garden, its a pleasure to watch :D

I do agree though, it really depends on the cats nature and how they have adapted to a bunny living amongst them

I have three cats that don't bother the buns at all. I didn't leave the cats unattended with the house buns when the buns were small, as I don't trust them completely, but now the buns are full grown they just don't take any notice, in fact it's the buns that do more chasing and sniffing.:D Think it does depend on the cats nature. If we still had Twig who had some ferral instincts, then no way.

All my cats have been rescue cats ranging from 5 months old to 20 years, some have been feral as well, and ive never had a problem with the cats attacking a rabbit. Its usually the rabbits putting the cats in their place to begin with and then live in harmony after that. :D

I have a very small lionhead who has lived free range in the house for over 6 months with my cats with no problems at all.

I have 4 cats, and 2 bunnys, my older bunny actually plays chase with 2 of my cats, running into bushes, whilst waiting for the cat to find him, then the cat runs into another bush peeking out for the rabbit, then they both dart across the garden, its a pleasure to watch :D

I do agree though, it really depends on the cats nature and how they have adapted to a bunny living amongst them

One of my rabbits and cat does this too :lol:

My cats have never really bothered my bunnys tbh, Weve had one bit of hoohar, where Alfie my rescue cat put his paw out to touch Phoebe and Phoebe jumped off the sofa, ran across to the other side of the room then took a run and jump at the sofa and jumped on Alfie,poor Alfie nearly peeded his pants :lol::lol::lol: Fletcher has a habit of following my bigger cat Ewok around, Ewok dont put up with it for long though and ends up running away!

Back