• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Phoebe's getting spayed tommorow - another UPDATE she's home :o)

Hugbut

Mama Doe
Phoebe's going in to be spayed in the morning :(
I'm scared she won't wake up from the GA or that she'll pull her stitches out when she gets home...I'm not gonna be able to sleep a wink tonight...can't wait for it to all be over :)

Last edited:
GA now carries only minimal risks (the same as for people or any other animal) when done by a rabbit savvy vet, so hopefully that shouldn't be a problem.

I've not had a girl pull out any stitches or even bother with the wound at all. If you keep her on pain meds for a few days (if your vet doesn't give you some, demand some) then she should be ok because its generally pain and discomfort that makes them chew and pull stitches.

Hopefully all will be fine for you both and she will bounce back quickly :)

I've just phoned the vet & Phoebe is in recovery :D
I'm picking her up in an hour or so & was just looking for advice about asking the vet for painkillers as i have a feeling they aren't gonna give her any to take home.How do i ask/tell them i want painkillers for her without sounding like an idiot? Any advice is greatly appreciated!
:wave:

usually the vet gives a 24hour pain injection whic for most bunnys is enough. however if she is in pain after that then you need to get some metacam from vets to give her. the crucial time after the op is the first 24-48hours... the first 24hours i slee in the room with the rabbit and check on their temperature through the night as this will decrease and not be maintained due to the ga affects.... also try and tempt her with lots of things to get her to eat and poop there should be poo by the next morning otherwise you will likely need a gut stimulant. girls recovery is longer so she will need to be on cage rest for a few days and be monitored licking teh stitches is fine but biting tehm isnt a baby grow style jumper can be put on the rabbit if desperatly worried about stiches though most leave them alone with adequet pain relief collars should be a last resort as buns can eat and drink with them on. regarding eating and drinking she will be tiered and eat only little bits holding food in your hand under her nose will likely get her to nibble bits also corriander and fresh parsely seem to tempt a bunny after ga. or mushy pellets. oh and also rememebr most buns feel a bit low after the op and will prefer to use a water bowl rather than bottle hope this help s xx

Just come out and ask for them, explain you would just prefer to have some. If they are funny explain that as the vets know (so even if they don't know you are keeping them onside) rabbits shut down when they feel pain, and you want to do everything you can to prevent that, plus it's a big operation and you wouldn't want to go through something that big without painkillers, etc. At the least, metacam is normally given, although some vets use stronger painkillers. Just don't leave until you get them.

usually the vet gives a 24hour pain injection whic for most bunnys is enough. however if she is in pain after that then you need to get some metacam from vets to give her. the crucial time after the op is the first 24-48hours... the first 24hours i slee in the room with the rabbit and check on their temperature through the night as this will decrease and not be maintained due to the ga affects.... also try and tempt her with lots of things to get her to eat and poop there should be poo by the next morning otherwise you will likely need a gut stimulant. girls recovery is longer so she will need to be on cage rest for a few days and be monitored licking teh stitches is fine but biting tehm isnt a baby grow style jumper can be put on the rabbit if desperatly worried about stiches though most leave them alone with adequet pain relief collars should be a last resort as buns can eat and drink with them on. regarding eating and drinking she will be tiered and eat only little bits holding food in your hand under her nose will likely get her to nibble bits also corriander and fresh parsely seem to tempt a bunny after ga. or mushy pellets. oh and also rememebr most buns feel a bit low after the op and will prefer to use a water bowl rather than bottle hope this help s xx

Thanks so much for this :wave: My dad grows parsley & has given me a huge bag for her as it's one of her favourites.I wouldn't have thought to give her a bowl of water aswell as her bottle so thank you very much for sharing :) I saw a pic someone posted on here not long ago of their bun with a jumper made out of a sock - hopefully i won't need to put one on her but i'm prepared to make one just incase :lol:
Thanks again :wave:

Just come out and ask for them, explain you would just prefer to have some. If they are funny explain that as the vets know (so even if they don't know you are keeping them onside) rabbits shut down when they feel pain, and you want to do everything you can to prevent that, plus it's a big operation and you wouldn't want to go through something that big without painkillers, etc. At the least, metacam is normally given, although some vets use stronger painkillers. Just don't leave until you get them.

Thanks for your advice - i suppose i'll have to be brave & just say it! The only think i'm worried about now is that i might only see a nurse & i'm not sure if they could prescribe painkillers? Thanks again :wave:

I have four rabbits, they have had the op, last one today! Binky he fine appart from i thought he was a she! good luck with your Rabbit, it will all be fine! i have male 2 male bonding to look forwards too! ;)

Thanks for asking, Rabswood :wave: i'm back with an update :wave:
I asked for extra painkillers but was told i'd have to wait for the vet to be free to prescibe them,so as she'd been given enough painkillers already to last 48hrs, i decided not to wait & just get her home asap, although they did say i can come & get some metacam if i think she is still in pain after the 48hrs.
When i got her home, she couldn't even get out of her carrier :( i had to gently lift her out on her vet bed.I gave a heat pad thing (well actually a sock with some heated rice in as reccomended by someone on here, thank you :)) i offered her some parsley which she had a nibble at, then i wrapped her in a blanket & left her in peace.She looked awful.Her eyes were red & watery & her face was sunken, but it's to be expected i suppose after a big op.I checked on her frequently & she did a wee within about an hour of being home, so that made me feel a little better.
This morning she has got more of an appetite, and is eating more enthusiastically.She hasn't touched her pellets but has had some kale, parsley & dandelions (her favourites :)) Her eyes are still a bit red but they look alot better than they did, she is also moving around the crate more & has produced quite a few normal looking poops.So far *fingers crossed* she hasn't bothered with her stitches, which is one thing i was really worried about.All in all, i *think* she is doing well.
Thank you everyone who gave me advice - it really did help me & Phoebe alot - I'll keep you posted with how she's getting on :wave:

Awww that's good. Eating and moving around. All my girls were quite bright eyed when they came back although quieter than usual. I remember having to tempt Lavender with Dandelions but once she started eating she was fine.

The baby (Big) is the only one to bother with her stitches and I had to get Metacam for her but she came through fine in the end.

Good luck with her recovery.

Rabswood

Just to let everyone know, Phoebe is continuing to improve & is pretty much back to normal in herself.She's eating her hay and pellets again and is hopping round now (before she was kind of shuffling about) She is going for her post op check on monday, so hopefully everything will be ok.Thank you again for all your advice & support - i really appreciate it :wave:

Back