• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit Books to Chuck in the Bin!

The Duchess

Wise Old Thumper
Just wanted to start a thread for those folks who have owned, read or both, a book about rabbits or rabbit care that was total rubbish and should be taken out of circulation.

I go to the car boots to buy books either in case they are any good (although I have most of them) but to also get hold of any before someone who doesn't know any better buys them and thinks that they are getting good information.

Today I bought three books from the same lady. I would recommend that anyone new to rabbits doesn't bother to believe most of what is in them.

Their titles are:

Rabbits As A New Pet by Barry Martin - Horrid little book in my opinion and I realise that it's written a while ago but please!!! I feel so sad that they put pictures of cage bottomed rabbit blocks and think that this is good advice! Also, apparently it's okay to feed your bunnies oranges:shock::shock:

Then we have The Complete Guide to Owning a Rabbit by Anne Lindsay Again a horrid, inaccurate book that recommends rawhide treats used for rats and other rodents - she says that because rabbits share the same characteristics then they can have the same food! She also recommends Chick-n-Cheez Oodles - made with chicken meal and cheese protein -AAAARRRRRGGGGGHHHH.

Lastly, Pet Owner's Guide to the Rabbit by Marianne Mays- this one wasn't so bad when it started off but again is quite out-dated. It does stress that it should always be an adult that is responsible for the animal so that's good, but it says that rabbits and piggies will live together quite happily and will become good friends.:roll:

What rabbit care books have you seen or got in your library that you would cheerfully burn or put in the shredder?:D

Lastly, Pet Owner's Guide to the Rabbit by Marianne Mays- this one wasn't so bad when it started off but again is quite out-dated. It does stress that it should always be an adult that is responsible for the animal so that's good, but it says that rabbits and piggies will live together quite happily and will become good friends.:roll:

What rabbit care books have you seen or got in your library that you would cheerfully burn or put in the shredder?:D

The above is the only book I read before buying my first bunny and it was what I went on for quite some time. I read it recently, since joining the forum and was quite shocked as some of the things in it. It recommends keeping rabbits alone as they will fight otherwise (written before neutering was commonplace no doubt) but in the health care section flystrike doesn't even get a mention, which is really poor. There were about 5 major thinks that contradicted what I think now (my memory isn't good as to what they were though :oops:)

I have to say, I found this site before I got given Charlie. When I got Charlie I also got two books. They were both outdated. But one did stress that angoras were difficult to keep which is good.

I can't find them now grr

will have a look.

Definately prefer this website for upto date on the ball information.

The Collins Rabbit Family Pet Guide by David Taylor. I bought this as a quick brush up on my bunny skills when I first started thinking about rescuing. As the book is by David Taylor (don't know if anyone remembers the series Zoo Vet, might be showing my age :oops:, but the vet character featured, Donald Turner, was actually based on this vet David Taylor) so I did have mucho respect for him.

He too however says Guineas and bunnies can live happily togther although he does point out the dangers. Apparently it's okay though as long as you keep your eye on them for a few days. Also says a 3 ft hutch is okay for a small bunny and pictures give you a very dodgy idea of whats okay and whats not.

hi

I was really sad and had every book from library out, I bought several and decide that they all give diff opinions so I went with my vets advice and what I knew and decide to make my own book well web page containing lots everything bunny. With lots of pics and colour as I find most books boring so www.hoppybunnyrabbit.com was born for everyone.
Then I decide I was going to write a diary for it (oh my buns done it actually,) so I start writing and it turned into a little novel its facts,good bad and the ugly of owning a bun house bun. It is for anyone as its good for beginners, before or small children as parents can do voice. All animal owners can relate to some of it and it raises awareness of rescue buns and our 2 charities. And our vet approves we also hoping to have a couple of famous friends to add coments (ie matt brash) and it will hopefully be on sale next year hoping to raise money for the 2 charities and for anyone who doesnt know about it yet its called Not Just A Rabbit... so look out for it all for a good cause. Winnie & Angel says "its time to move over cats and dogs and let us buns have our say because we are NOT 'just a rabbit'!

I was really sad and had every book from library out, I bought several and decide that they all give diff opinions so I went with my vets advice and what I knew and decide to make my own book well web page containing lots everything bunny. With lots of pics and colour as I find most books boring so www.hoppybunnyrabbit.com was born for everyone.
Then I decide I was going to write a diary for it (oh my buns done it actually,) so I start writing and it turned into a little novel its facts,good bad and the ugly of owning a bun house bun. It is for anyone as its good for beginners, before or small children as parents can do voice. All animal owners can relate to some of it and it raises awareness of rescue buns and our 2 charities. And our vet approves we also hoping to have a couple of famous friends to add coments (ie matt brash) and it will hopefully be on sale next year hoping to raise money for the 2 charities and for anyone who doesnt know about it yet its called Not Just A Rabbit... so look out for it all for a good cause. Winnie & Angel says "its time to move over cats and dogs and let us buns have our say because we are NOT 'just a rabbit'!

Wow, that's great. Funnily enough, I have just started creating my own website too as I want to help get the message over about the masses of incorrect info out there. I will sit down and read your site as soon as I get a mo.

The more of us that spread the welfare message the better!

wow so i wasnt the only one trying to get a boook up n running this year!!

thats fantastic..i wont bother now then:lol:

There were a bunch of sites I used in my research before getting my buns - Hoppy Bunny was one of them (thank you!), as was this site. Most books I have briefly looked at are pretty dubious though - I only use the House Rabbit Handbook and websites now.

The worst book I have seen is Hop To It by Samantha Hunter - I even wrote a review on Amazon about how awful it is! According to that book rabbits can live in cages with wire bottoms and go without care for a weekend...

Emma

I cant remember the name of the book i shall have to look for it but in it it said to pick rabbits up only by their ears :shock: it was written ages ago but god could you imagine the damage done

Back