• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Local Pet Shop...Can anybody help?

I know there arent many of us on here who are local to the suffolk/essex area, but something happened yesterday that I would like to try and act on if i can.

I was visiting a local pet shop, which has two stores, one in Suffolk (just outside ipswich) and one is Essex (Colchester). I was in the one in Suffolk

I went in only to purchase my dogs food, as this is one of the few places in the area that stock it, trust me if i could find somewhere else i would go somewhere else.
However I decided to have a look at the bunnies, and was totally shocked to find that the three litters they have ALL looked very small, I would say about 4 weeks tops of age. As i was stood there one of the sales assistants was selling rabbits to a couple. This couple were purchasing two females and a male, all from the same litter therefore relatated!:shock:. The advise the girl was giving them was totally shocking. For example she said that a 'small handful of hay' is enough all day for all three, and that the 'russell rabbit' kind of food was best. She also said 'I think they are some kind of lop cross'.
By this point i was biting my tongue, so asked my mum if we could leave, and as i was paying some more bunnies had been brought in for sale. Again they looked terribly small.

This is where I need someones help, I cant complain to the stores manager, as i used to work there, and well to say when i left it was under contraversional situation is an under-statement. I need someone either local or who doesnt mind putting there name to a complaint to do this for me. Back when i worked there rabbits werent willy nilly sold in groups of threes, especially of different sexes, and all of the rabbits that were 'in stock' wouldnt have been allowed in because i would have deemed them to small.

It takes alot for me to even complaint making a complaint there due to having previously worked there and knowing alot of the staff that are still there, however I was totally shocked at the very poor training. When i had to work there I was encouraged to find out about all the animals i was responsible for.

You must be talking about Seapets (I may be breaking rules by putting that, so sorry if I am, I'll remove it).

My vets have been trying to get them on board to work with them on rabbit selling, but the company are resisting.

I don't mind complaining, but I can only do it through personal experience, so I will have to go in and see, however, I can't go in immediately.

The buns they sell are far too young and don't have the correct diet, and sometimes not even water (and yes, I have pointed this out at the appropriate times). I have been severely unimpressed with them, but they don't want to hear it, to be honest.

I'll try and go in this week, but I'm not making any promises, sorry. If you want to complain, could you maybe write the letter and your mum can sign it? so she is the one making the official complaint?

,QUOTE "and sometimes not even water (and yes, I have pointed this out at the appropriate times)."

I think it might be an idea to phone the RSPCA if the buns have no water when you next visit, or ask a parent to do so if you are not an adult?-Sue:wave:

If the pet shop is part of a chain you can talk to HQ. Otherwise just go straight to the council as they licence pet shops. They should visit to check the shop are meeting their licence terms.

Tam

I'm 25, so more than happy to do that. I didn't think you could call the RSPCA on pet shops, but I will see about contacting the council if things are bad again. Thanks :)

Pet shops are licensed by the Pet Care Trust, if you spot any misconduct then it is wise to contact them as legally they can retract their license, on top of this I'd contact the RSPCA. If their pet license is withdrawn from that shop, they will probably investigate any other stores that they own and it shouldn't be easy for them to get their license back once it has been lost.

Back