• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

can rabbits mate through bars?

I had a female and male in different cages with the cages touching for years and the doe never got pregnant. so unless it was the way the bars were then its impossible.

This might be one of those cases where you have to find a positive response (as in the doe got pregnant) which could conclusively prove that it could happen. In maths we called this proof by contradiction *is a geek!*.

I have come across a good few people who say it has happened to them (well, not them, their bunnies :lol:), however, whether or not that is enough proof is debateable.

This might be one of those cases where you have to find a positive response (as in the doe got pregnant) which could conclusively prove that it could happen. In maths we called this proof by contradiction *is a geek!*.

I have come across a good few people who say it has happened to them (well, not them, their bunnies :lol:), however, whether or not that is enough proof is debateable.

there were a few threads a long time back where some people did say it had happened then later retracted that and apologised saying actually they had put tehir bunnys together there were at least 2 seperate incidences of this .

Well, my brother reckons this is how his two bunnies ended up having babies for the second time. Call me cynical, but I just think he couldn't admit he and his wife had made the same mistake twice by letting them mix. :roll::roll::roll:

there were a few threads a long time back where some people did say it had happened then later retracted that and apologised saying actually they had put tehir bunnys together there were at least 2 seperate incidences of this .

:| yeh, that's what I was thinking people might say. However, I had a breeder friend who obviously, as a breeder was not adverse to litters and not ashamed of them, and when she had two or three girls get pregnant and she didn't know how, the only conclusion she could draw was through the bars.

Only if the male bunny has a really looooonnnnnnnngggggg willy, otherwise it would be impossible, how could he mount through bars?

Not through bars but If it was say flimsy chicken wire, or some sort of material mesh then I'd think it *could* be possible.

I had hamsters that bred through the bars of a cage when I was young, god knows how... So I wouldn't rule out the possibility!!

I had hamsters that bred through the bars of a cage when I was young, god knows how... So I wouldn't rule out the possibility!!

very strange? it must have been the right time(every 4 days) else the female would have attacked him and his bits through the bars rather than push her bum towards him... and the males usually have such small bits too? id never heard aa hamster do this before.

very strange? it must have been the right time(every 4 days) else the female would have attacked him and his bits through the bars rather than push her bum towards him... and the males usually have such small bits too? id never heard aa hamster do this before.

Ive heard of this. a few people on a hamster forum i'm on have no idea how their hams could've mated except through the bars.

Back