• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Water Bowls in winter?

Mazda

Warren Veteran
I was just wondering now its getting colder, and a bit frosty in the mornings. How do you stop water in bowls from freezeing? Cause Pebble wont drink from a bottle, she only drinks from a bowl nowadays. :)

xxx

I was just wondering now its getting colder, and a bit frosty in the mornings. How do you stop water in bowls from freezeing? Cause Pebble wont drink from a bottle, she only drinks from a bowl nowadays. :)

xxx

Thanks, Mai for posting this, as I was wondering too - Lulu is a fussy bun who will only drink out of a bowl too :roll::oops:

some people on my duck group have some kind of special bowl that keeps the water from freezing. i dont know what it is but i *think* it uses heat and is safe. i could ask them i ya want :)

I was wondering this as I have bottle sussed but not bowls! I did her a few drops of glycerin stops water from freezing but have never done this as I didnt know if it would be harmful to buns? to date we have just made water as warm as poss (our bunnies seem to love getting fresh warm water in the winter, Niamh goes mad for it!) before bed time and placed it in the center of lots of straw under and round sides for insulation.

try putting a little ball in it :? thats what they did with the horses in a field i used to look after

lisa

I found that with a rain cover, and an old bed sheet on their hutch over night, the water never froze, so it can't get that cold in there with the extra insulation.

Not had the experience but I imagine

insultating your hutch well will keep the heat in from the sun that we do have & bunny warmth at night.

A small floating ball (I think the plastic golf balls you can get float) will bounce up and down with the wind and bunny movement & will keep a small bit of water clear.

change it twice a day

Mine actually never freeze, even in the snow (how weird in that), but if it does freeze, its not the end of the world because the bun can still get liquid and moisture from it (unlike a bottle, in my experience), so won't get dehydrated.

if in the hutch then should be ok if hutch has covers.. the ball idea sounds good... i think just changing the water a few times a day would do it..maybe warm it slightly?
have edited this as apparently the pinch of salt is a bad idea.x

Last edited:
some people on my duck group have some kind of special bowl that keeps the water from freezing. i dont know what it is but i *think* it uses heat and is safe. i could ask them i ya want :)

ahh could you ask please??

Yea i will try the little ball thing :) thanks x

if in the hutch then should be ok if hutch has covers.. if outdoors then possibly putting a tiny bit of salt in it?(?

The Salt idea is really bad. Don't do it.

Get a heating pad below the water cup, or some sort of warm element, even a lamp near it, should do the trick. If the temperature is so cold that water freeze, then the temp. has to be below zero. If so, it's too cold for the bun anyway, get some sort of heater inside the hutch.

The Salt idea is really bad. Don't do it.

Get a heating pad below the water cup, or some sort of warm element, even a lamp near it, should do the trick. If the temperature is so cold that water freeze, then the temp. has to be below zero. If so, it's too cold for the bun anyway, get some sort of heater inside the hutch.

no dont put ab heater in the hutch this can burn them and also could possibly change the temperature too much. how about a heated pad some blankets adn thick layers of hay. i was just thinkin a tiny pinch of salt could lower the water temperature but i guess it could dehydrate bun more and cause renal probs so dont go with that.

Mai- I asked and this is what someone said:

"They make water bowls that have heater elements. We had a plastic one
that the element just snapped on under the bottom...most pet stores
should have them. Or I'm sure you can find them online."

thanks William, do you have a link? :) xx

I was thinking about getting a snuggle safe for her but i cant afford one. :(
I change the water twice aday now :) Last winter she used a bottle and i got a bottle warmer thing for it. I might try the ball thing, or find some money for a snuggle safe xxxx

Back