• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Another Unexpected Babies post!

Okay, so we came home from work today, to a squeaking noise... And, yep, you guessed it.

Our two "Female" rabbits had left us a little suprise...

Seven, little suprises actually. And, the bad news is, since we work so much, we're not sure when the mother gave birth. The babies are all still rather pink, although they are almost dark brown on the top.

We took the one whom we discovered to be Male out of the cage, and let the mother go about her buisness.

I did read the other "unexpected" post, and wondered what adivce you could give us.

This is actually our first set of Kits...

Here's hoping there aren't more on the way.

Chaze & Mariah

Oh dear............

Well I am affraid that there is a very good chance that your Doe is pregnant again :cry: Does are very fertile immediately after giving birth and as the Buck was obviously still with her he will have mated her again :cry:
The gestation period is about 30-32 days.............

As for the new Kits, the Mum will only feed them once a day, usually at night.
Dont disturb the nest but just make sure no kits have come out or are dead.
If you do need to touch the nest or a kit rub your hands in the Does bedding first so as your hands have her scent on them. Preferably remove the Doe from the hutch/cage before touching the nest/kits.

If the Doe is used to eating greens then ensuring these are part of her diet will help her milk production. She will probably drink more too.
The Kits eyes should open after about 10 days and they will venture out of the nest from about 3 weeks.

I would take your Buck to the Vet to discuss getting him neutered

:)

That's what we thought :?

We did immediately remove the buck, Snickerdoodle, from the cage, and gave him a makeshift home of his own, until we can get another cage.

We are planning on making a larger one on our own, that way everyone has room to grow.

Esper (the doe) seems to be eating fine, and I have noticed that she is consuming more water. We did have to change the bedding in the cage, but made sure to be extremely careful, as not to disturb the nest, or the kits. Unfortunately, the current cage that we have for them isn't large enough to accomidate a litterbox.

And as far as getting Snicker-snack nutered... It's in the books, just need to wait till we get paid =^.^=

We will be watching Esper closely to see if she shows signs of another pregnancy though. Should we consider getting her spaid as well?

Esper won't beable to be spayed when she's feeding the kits. When the babies are about 4 weeks old, if she is pregnant the second litter will be born. You can get her spayed when the second litter are weaned at around 8 weeks.

This exact same thing happened to me. :( My rabbit population went from 2 to 8 in just a month.

If she does turn out to be pregnant again you might see signs shortly before giving birth because she might reject her current litter, but that's a fair while in the future, just focus on the ones you have for now.

Checking the nest is a must (and needs to be done daily). If mum is happy to let you do this, then that's fine, if not, you can put a dab of vanilla over her nose so that she can smell only the vanilla. You will also need to check they have been fed (although mum might not feed until up to 48 hours after birth). They should look like they have swallowed ping pong balls when they have been fed.

Also, how is the nest? Is it well formed? It might be worth getting some sort of nest box and moving nest and babies into it and putting it back where the nest was. That just prevents babies wandering. The nest box needs to have sides high enough for the babies not to be able to get out, but for the mum to get in, and it needs and open roof. Something like a shoe box is ideal.

I don't have any advice about babies.
Did you not know one of them wasn't sterilised?
It'd be an idea to neutur the buck, and consult the vet about the doe, so check if she's pregnant and if not she can be spayed.
But if you haven't got the funds so the buck first and then the doe (but do her before she's 3 as she can get cancer if not)
Lots of luck with these cute little babies :D
How exciting! Remember to post piccies :D:D:D:D:D:D

Bit of an emergency

Please forgive me if I misspell anything... I'm rather frantic and torn up at the moment.

When I went to check on the kits this mornong...

There wer only five...

and it looks like only two are goingt o make it.

Esper had attacked her babies. Three of them are missing both ears, and have missing legs, and torn flesh... one of them was completely gloved from mid-back on.

The only two that look like they are possibly going to make it, one is missing a tail, and one is missing a back leg, and has a torn ear..

The vet opens in about an hour...

I'm so torn up, I'm getting sick.

what do I do?!

Have any died?
I would remove her from them so she doesn't kill them and get them to an Emergency Vet NOW :cry:

oh no :( have you removed her from them? Maybe do that. Take them all mum and babies to the vet. But keep them in separate carriers. The vet will be able to tell what the outlook will be for the babies, though looks like you would have to try and handrear any that may be ok, but even that has a poor success rate.
I would also ask your vet about an emergency spey for her as she may be pregnant again. They could spey now before she gets too far along, maybe she is too young to be a mum herself right now.
Also ask about getting your buck neutered.
I am orry, how horrible. :(

We did immediately remove the mother from the babies.

So far, I've been getting the runaround, as it is sunday. I don't want to see the three suffer, but, I can't do anything. I just really need an open vet...

We now know for a fact that we are going to be getting rid of the doe. We're still talking about getting rid of the buck as well...

I really can't stand this.

oh no :( have you removed her from them? Maybe do that. Take them all mum and babies to the vet. But keep them in separate carriers. The vet will be able to tell what the outlook will be for the babies, though looks like you would have to try and handrear any that may be ok, but even that has a poor success rate.
I would also ask your vet about an emergency spey for her as she may be pregnant again. They could spey now before she gets too far along, maybe she is too young to be a mum herself right now.
Also ask about getting your buck neutered.
I am orry, how horrible. :(

You can't spay while she's feeding kits.

If the kits or nest have been disturbed, Mum will kill them. It's important not to disturb the nest at all. If it's too late you might want to think about hand-rearing - but most buns don't survive.

Are you 100% sure you removd DAD not MUM?

DON'T PANIC AND DO ANYTHING SUDDENLY.
Just get them to the vets.
You can hand rear them, atleast try and give them the best chance they can.
Missing ears and tails are no problem, and maybe even legs.
Just get them to the vets for needed medication and handrearing stuff.

Do you not have a local vet?
Just get the local vet's number call them and tell them what's happened and that it's urgent.
:cry: Poor little babies.
Sending tons of vibes.
Xx

Whereabouts are you? Have you tried searching on Scoot or something like that? A bigger one that would be open 24hrs would maybe have a website. Hope the little ones are ok x

DON'T PANIC AND DO ANYTHING SUDDENLY.
Just get them to the vets.
You can hand rear them, atleast try and give them the best chance they can.
Missing ears and tails are no problem, and maybe even legs.
Just get them to the vets for needed medication and handrearing stuff.

handrearing stuff :? and if there missing legs eyes and ears i would call that a problem :shock:

Back