• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

pasteurella

William

Wise Old Thumper
On a chin forum I'm on they say that over half of all rabbits have pasteurella but it doesnt affect most of them. But it could be very dangerous to a chinchilla so you can't keep bith rabbits and chinchillas. Is this true? thats very disappointing as I wanted to have chins one day :cry:

:? Not heard of that. Our chins are down mums as we dont have the room here :) Could you not keep them in diff rooms? They wouldnt be able to literally live together anyway :? xXx

Yep it's true about rabbits carrying pasteurella...so could be a problem if chins are susceptible to that bacteria.

It's always said that you shouldn't keep rabbits near guineas because of the risk of passing on bordatella, but loads of people seem to do it without problems :?

if i got chins i might be able to house them somewhere besides my room where my buns are. maybe by conviently mentioning the risk of pasteurella tomy parents AFTER I get my chins :lol:

I have had rabbits with active pasteurella and had a chinchilla at the same time, they were living in the same room at one point because I didn't think it would be a problem. He never caught anything from them. The rabbits have passed away now but I still have my chinchilla, he is 6 now and is very healthy :)

I didn't know that and had a pair of chins for over 12 years. During that time, Totti was a housebun as well and they lived in the same room.

That doesn't mean it won't happen but Madam Paranoia here had never heard of it.

They say that the disease can be passed from your hands/clothes if you handled a bun with pasteurella so unless you changed clothes and showered every time you were around your chins after being with your buns they could still get it.

Back