• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Trancing, a new opinion

XMissySJx

Wise Old Thumper
I used to be against it, i couldnt see how a bun could honesty enjoy it.

Yesterday i picked up jelly to move her because she was going near my mums footstall cushion, and as i picked her er, i sort of held her like a baby :oops: (JELLY lol i know big mistake) but she slowly layed her head back, and then her front legs, and just was hanging her head behind her...

so i gently laid her down on the floor and she stayed on her back, with her head back and eyes closed for nearly minuted while i stroked her tummy.

she literally did it to herself... is that weird??!?!?!:shock:

Hate to say it, but that sounds like a classic trance to me - they did some research that showed that bunny stress levels go up when they are tranced so there is some scientific jiggery-pokery that suggests that they don't generally like it. There'll always be an exception to the rule of course but the whole point of trancing is that they look relaxed but really they aren't.

Sorry :oops:

Hate to say it, but that sounds like a classic trance to me - they did some research that showed that bunny stress levels go up when they are tranced so there is some scientific jiggery-pokery that suggests that they don't generally like it. There'll always be an exception to the rule of course but the whole point of trancing is that they look relaxed but really they aren't.

hmmmm, thats what i always thought. like...i dunno it just seems like they are so frightened, like the vet did it to domino when she was doing his cream and yehhe was still but hes nose was going quickly and his heart was beating fast.

with Jelly, her nose was slow, and her breathing was relaxed, and when she finished she turned into a happy flop :? i think 9/10 the bun is stressed, but surely she wouldnt have done a flop after if she was lol

unless she is just a weird ol babbit lol:lol:

hmmmm, thats what i always thought. like...i dunno it just seems like they are so frightened, like the vet did it to domino when she was doing his cream and yehhe was still but hes nose was going quickly and his heart was beating fast.

with Jelly, her nose was slow, and her breathing was relaxed, and when she finished she turned into a happy flop :? i think 9/10 the bun is stressed, but surely she wouldnt have done a flop after if she was lol

unless she is just a weird ol babbit lol:lol:

Some buns almost play dead after being tranced and 'appear relaxed', it is their way of hoping that preditors will leave them alone if they look half or properly dead.

Some buns almost play dead after being tranced and 'appear relaxed', it is their way of hoping that preditors will leave them alone if they look half or properly dead.

hmmm, if it was any other bun i would agree its just shes never done it before, and then flopped out after.

maybe im wrong, im still 'against it' bcus i do believe it does frighten them, i just think maybe this one time, she wasnt....
i dont know she confuses me

I read an article about this a while back, it said the reason they seem relaxed is because they are playing dead - literally scared stiff :(

I read an article about this a while back, it said the reason they seem relaxed is because they are playing dead - literally scared stiff :(

yeh ive read that too, but the thing is, jelly has never been scared f anything, anyone whos met her knows, nothing scared her. even when we was bonding, jelly lay flat out and relaxed, she didnt care.

and once she stopped lying like this last night she rolled over into a flop n then let me stroke her face and she looked so happy. i would have thought if she was frightened she would have moved away

I agree with Alison on this one :)

Blue lays on his back sometimes. No particular reason and nothing happening to him. He starts in a flop then kinda rolls over.:?
Really frightened me the first time he did it so I rolled him back onto his side, at which point he stood up and looked at me like he was so unimpressed. Then he hopped away flicking his feet at me. Weird bun. :roll:

Back