• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

spaying and 'edwardian collars'

marvy

Warren Scout
Hi, just to inform that the collars given when your bunny has been spayed - ( so they can't get to the stiches) even when the vet uses glue over the stiches! Your bunny can't get to the water bottle/bowl and eat/drink her water/food.

Never use them, we have bunnies speyed and castrated every week and I have never ever used a collar and I have never had a bunny undo their stitches, I should imagine that those collars are very uncomfortable for a bunny, poor thing

My Vet never uses them and she neuters hundreds of Rabbits.
If internal sutures and glue are used to close the wound and adequate pain relief administered post op then a 'collar' really is not necessary.

I hope your Bunny recovers well :)

i didnt get given a collar and i never intend to get a rabbit spayed again i cant bear the stress (the op or a teen bunny :lol:)

i shall be adopting them ready spayed when the time comes.

Claude had one cause he pulled his stiches out he had 2 wear it for 2 weeks:shock:
All my others had internal stiches so no problems

Hi, just to inform that the collars given when your bunny has been spayed - ( so they can't get to the stiches) even when the vet uses glue over the stiches! Your bunny can't get to the water bottle/bowl and eat/drink her water/food.

I have only ever had one bun that as had to use one (male castrate, but thats another story) It didn't affect him as he realised he could use the collar to scoop food up with :roll:. My vets don't use them for a rabbits normally:D

HPIM0315Dobbs.jpg

Last edited:
I ended up with one for Clover as she was ripped out her stitches (there were internal ones too so it wasn't a huge deal in reality), but she found it incredibly distressing, and got the thing off in about 10 minutes anyway. We gave up in the end.

Back