• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

dental buns Binky free my baby

lottielouise

Wise Old Thumper
When I got Princess her previous owner said that she had to cut up her veg really small and mix it in with her dried food to get her to eat it (alarm bells should have rang then). She certainly didn't have a hay rack big enough for a days hay, so I doubt she was eating enough hay. But she said the vet said she was fine.

Anyway I got the vet to check her tonight when we went for Charlie's VHD, as although her veg and hay eating have both dramatically improved in the two weeks that I have had her, her poos are still small, black and nothing like Charlies.

She checked Princess's mouth and said her back left molar is a little on the sharp side. She went on to explain what would happen for a bunny dentals anesthetic mentioned.

I asked for another few weeks to see if it improves on diet alone, as I have seen an improvement in her eating. She has not stopped eating and loves her pellets, which is slowly moving over to A+P. To begin with she would only eat banana, now she will eat spring + white cabbage.

She has given me four weeks. then I have to bring her back to be weighed.

Questions:

what is the likelihood of it improving on diet alone?

If worst comes to worst. Does anyone know of vets that will do dentals without anesthetic, in the manchester area?

Last edited:
EEeep. Poor girl, RUBBISH old owner :shock: Is there any reason you want the dentals done conscious? It doesnt sound as though her teeth are too horrendous, so possibly wouldnt have to be so often anyway? Know of a really really ace vet though in Chorlton who I'd always go to for anything but routine treatment from now on, hes brilliant :D

I don't think a spur could improve with a good diet, just not get worse.

I've heard of cases where spurs are visible but don't seem to be bothering the rabbit. I don't know if a spur would stop them eating hay though, I'll let someone more knowledgeable tackle that one.

Why are you looking for a dental without anaesthetic?

My own preference, from instinct and reading threads is to have GA unless the bunny's health is compromised already or the dentals are really regular, though I know others are happy to have molar spurs burred without anaesthetic.

she only had anesthetic a couple of weeks ago for her spay. and she was poorly for a week, obviously that was part spay, but I wonder how much is anesthetic

she only had anesthetic a couple of weeks ago for her spay. and she was poorly for a week, obviously that was part spay, but I wonder how much is anesthetic

Hmm, I wouldnt worry too much hon. When Rhia was spayed, it took her absolutely ages to recover. She was so poorly & the vets told us we would have to be well prepared to loose her. Recently shes had about three or four anesthetics, and the minute she starts coming round she starts eating & acting like nothings happened! :D

ETA: Sorry, Not saying that she isnt a bun who just doesnt react well to GA. Just mentioning :)

Hi :wave: I adopted my Phoebe in april this year from pets at home, she wasn't eating when i got her & the vet discovered she had severely over grown molars...p@h refused to help in anyway...but thats another story! anyway, i was told her dental problems were really bad & that she would need very regular dentals.She had her first one in early may & so far *fingers crossed* hasn't needed another.I was told a good diet wouldn't really help with keeping the molars trim as they tend to grow quicker than they can be ground down but my Feebs is on excel pellets,excel hay and fresh veg, plus lots of apple wood branches.I am convinced her diet has helped keep her teeth in shape.Sorry for the rambling but if it were me, i'd have her dental done then try and prolong further dentals by feeding her a really good diet :D

If the bunny has a spur I would allow the vet to do a dental as opposed to leaving it until a further problem develops i.e mouth/tongue lacerations, pain, not eating etc... It may be that after the spur is removed the teeth can be improved via diet.

I know a lot of people on here have regular conscious dentals done on their bunny's, but I would never agree to one. After having a long conversation with my rabbit vet on the matter she would not be willing to perform one. It isn't for this risk of cutting the mouth with the burr, but more for the fact that a bunnies jaw can be severly damaged when held open with a dental gag whilst conscious. It's a natural reaction for a bunny to clamp/tense up it's jaw with a gag in and this can result in an injury.

I have found when my buns have spurs done they come back after the GA not even remotely sleepy, they are normally pretty perky and lively, completely different from the same rabbit when having been neutered/spayed. Not sure if that helps at all, but they will use different strengths and stuff for GAs, so if she had problems before, there is absolutely no guarantee she wil again.

I would also say though, that you should keep her on pain meds until you go back because it could be pressing on/cut into the mouth causing her unnecessary pain when the problem has already been identified. This is one of those problems where the sooner it is sorted the better because the longer it goes on the more potential problems you have due to things like teeth becoming misalined, moved, abscesses, cuts, things like that.

If it was me, i personally would leave it 4 weeks :( This is because, if you read my story last week regarding barney, if his teeth were noticed sooner and a dental was done sooner, he'd still be here today :( She may be eating and still be in pain... as barney was. Id get her back to have it done, a diet wont help until after the dental has been done. This is just my opinion :) Good luck to princess xXx

Ok so how much for a dental (so glad I am working) ball park, as I would have to phone the vet in the morning to check.

I paid £178 :shock: That was with xrays and everything though, so im guessing less than that. Think it depends how bad their teeth are too, so if she only has the 1 bad tooth i doubt it'll cost as much. Barney had a whole mouth full of bad teeth. Keep us updated :) xXx

I used to pay £50 for dentals but she last had a dental over a year ago (passed away in Feb).

Rudy recently cost £200 because it wasn't obvious until it was quite bad, he had to be kept in for 3 days and 3 nights and syringe fed.... so also a case of probably less expensive if caught early.

Prices vary from vets to vets...my old vet was £40-45. My new vet is £100 for standard dental i.e burring spurs..my old vet practice used to do extensive dentals on one of my bunnies and were cheaper. It doesn't mean the more expensive it is the better vet etc... I use the same vet, just at a different practice!!!!

I paid £55 and £59 for two dentals recently, with no problems for either bun at all (that was for burring because neither bun had spurs that were cutting into the mouth or abscessng or anything). However, like has been said, prices vary vets to vets, maybe call yours up and ask how much it would roughly cost? They wouldn't know exactly until after, but they could give you a rough estimate.

hi

1st for a dental i doubt they can do it without ana (you know what i mean) as they are burning/grinding the tooth away. She also has to have pain killers and its best as it would be too stressful to do awake. They will be able to check all teeth while she is under. They use a weird contraption to pull the mouth open pic on my web page under a-z (t for teeth) www.hoppybunnyrabbit.com
Best to get it done now as food wont improve it only get worse however if you sort it you may then prevent it happening again by feeding . Hay greens are best for teeth as they have to grind teeth together where as pellets its crunching and wont ware down her tooty pegs.
Mine has very bad teeth mouth disease she is going to need dentals every 3-4ish months shes fine afterwards although bit sleepy. So dont worry bout that its not really a problem now adays. Good luck more info on teeth also on digestion page.

ok phoned she is in for tuesday morning, I can take her down on monday evening which is great for me. Should be between 40 and 50 depending on post op painkillers recovery sachets etc

Hi - My vet does conscious dentals (every month on one of mine) and is in Childer Thornton (by Vauxhalls just past Cheshire Oaks). If you still want her to have conscious dental let me know and I will send you contact details. About £25

Back