• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Would this be big enough for a giant for 2 whole days...

Becky86

Wise Old Thumper
Spoke to a lady regarding boarding, and she only has 6ft x nearly 3ft cages available for the dates i need Ronnie boarding. Is this ok?? Im feeling... its not :? As he is normally a house bun so has full access to the whole house, he is rather big now! Hes getting weighed tomorrow so can update. Going to ask at the vets see if they know any local boarders :) This would be £6 a night which i think is very good :) xXx

Well, if there's nothing else available I don't think he will come to any harm because of being kept in it for only 2 days.

Is it inside or outside. It will be ok as long as he gets use of a run or free range during the day

Is it inside or outside. It will be ok as long as he gets use of a run or free range during the day

That was my point with her, she doesnt put any of the buns out in runs :shock: Im thinking i may have to try elsewhere as he isnt going to be about to move much in that size cage. Its indoors as hes an indoor bun :) Shall try the bromsgrove branch i think and see whats available there xXx

hell probably be stroppy when you pick him up but i doubt itll harm him in two days... hell just laze about and sleep, oh and plot revenge on his mum for leaving him :p....

hell probably be stroppy when you pick him up but i doubt itll harm him in two days... hell just laze about and sleep, oh and plot revenge on his mum for leaving him :p....

:lol::lol::lol: I'd take him with me as we are only going to mother in laws but i dont think she'd appreciate her furniture etc being eaten :roll: and i couldnt watch him 24/7 as i do have to get my beauty sleep :lol:

could you not supply a run, or would she not allow that? xxx

Hmm... never thought about that :? When i asked about him going in a run/outside on the grass she said that space is for her own bunnies only, theyre free range garden buns :? xXx Might be worth an ask though :) xXx

:lol::lol::lol: I'd take him with me as we are only going to mother in laws but i dont think she'd appreciate her furniture etc being eaten :roll: and i couldnt watch him 24/7 as i do have to get my beauty sleep :lol:

alvin showed me the bum the first time he went to bonding :cry::cry:

if im honest i find it hard to believe a boarding place could be that good if they didnt exercise the rabbits, without meaning any offence to this woman.

like, i couldnt not excercise my boarders id feel terrible, so you kinda have to think, if she wouldnt exercise them, do you think she can offer your bunny the right ammoutn of care?

if that makes any sense

isnt it getting too chilly for house buns to be out tho??.. id rather my pair in a 6ft pen safe and warm more than sitting outside miserable and cold in a run.

proves how busy they are if she only has limited space :D and has said upfront too instead of trying to get cash out of ya without telling ;)

i really wouldnt worry about it myself.. buns get put into smaller spaces for bonding, if she knows how bunnies tick and can spot illness thats what id pay for :D:D:D

if im honest i find it hard to believe a boarding place could be that good if they didnt exercise the rabbits, without meaning any offence to this woman.

like, i couldnt not excercise my boarders id feel terrible, so you kinda have to think, if she wouldnt exercise them, do you think she can offer your bunny the right ammoutn of care?

if that makes any sense

Id love to bring them to you SJ but hubby would have a fit :lol::lol::lol: Your place looks amazing! People on here have reccommended the people to me, and they've been praised up in the local press :? Thing is small animal boarding round here is few and far between :( May have to sneak him with me :oops:

Id love to bring them to you SJ but hubby would have a fit :lol::lol::lol: Your place looks amazing! People on here have reccommended the people to me, and they've been praised up in the local press :? Thing is small animal boarding round here is few and far between :( May have to sneak him with me :oops:

lol, everyone always says its nice here, its nice to know people think so! well if they are recommended then i take back what i said, people are very hard to please when it comes to boarding in a sense because youre so worried about leaving your pets it has to be better than your own otherwise u feel bad lol, so i think if somewhere is praised by word of mouth, then it isa good place.

Maybe if you offer to take a run and just ask for him to go out for a couple of hours just to stretch his legs, she would be okay with it x

lol, everyone always says its nice here, its nice to know people think so! well if they are recommended then i take back what i said, people are very hard to please when it comes to boarding in a sense because youre so worried about leaving your pets it has to be better than your own otherwise u feel bad lol, so i think if somewhere is praised by word of mouth, then it isa good place.

Maybe if you offer to take a run and just ask for him to go out for a couple of hours just to stretch his legs, she would be okay with it x

I shall enquire :D Will update tomorrow once ive spoke to her :D xXx

if he has the space to fully streetch up inside these cages/pens then i thinki t would be fine for 2 days... but i wouldnt keep him stuck in any longer if hes a giant! x

To be fair to them though I think this is bunnery policy, the hutches are pretty big for normal size bunnies - 6*3 is probably not far off the size of run that most places would put a bunny in anyway, and if they literally stay in the accommodation it's got to be better for infection control and security. It might not be ideal but I don't think it does them any harm in the short term, in some ways I'd rather that than risk my buns picking up ec or coccidiosis from infected grass - but only if they were staying in the 12 footer!

To be fair to them though I think this is bunnery policy, the hutches are pretty big for normal size bunnies - 6*3 is probably not far off the size of run that most places would put a bunny in anyway, and if they literally stay in the accommodation it's got to be better for infection control and security. It might not be ideal but I don't think it does them any harm in the short term, in some ways I'd rather that than risk my buns picking up ec or coccidiosis from infected grass - but only if they were staying in the 12 footer!

yeh thats true, i hadnt thought of that, some places id been to see when i was looking for boarding when we went away had runs that were like 4 x 3, so if that was the case it would be better to be in the hutch lol!

We use 6ft x 3ft hutches for Giants and they have loads of room, but then again they do spend most of the day out in the run if its nice and if it's not then they are allowed in to have a run around in the house. If they are house buns, what we say to people is that they are welcome in their crate overnight indoors and to have free run in the house of an evening before bed and then we also reserve them a hutch at no extra cost to use during the day with a run. It's worked really well that way so far too. We dont let them free range in the house during the day a) as we have 2 dogs who although show no interest in the buns at all you cant afford to take risks and b) with people coming and going all day it is safer for the house buns not to be underfoot.:D

We use 6ft x 3ft hutches for Giants and they have loads of room, but then again they do spend most of the day out in the run if its nice and if it's not then they are allowed in to have a run around in the house. If they are house buns, what we say to people is that they are welcome in their crate overnight indoors and to have free run in the house of an evening before bed and then we also reserve them a hutch at no extra cost to use during the day with a run. It's worked really well that way so far too. We dont let them free range in the house during the day a) as we have 2 dogs who although show no interest in the buns at all you cant afford to take risks and b) with people coming and going all day it is safer for the house buns not to be underfoot.:D

That sounds really good! :D :D It seems she doesnt use runs because of cross infection :( She said she can disinfect the cages etc but obviously cant the grass so she said it isnt worth the risk. She seems a nice enough lady and the cages do look fairly big. She said he will be bought out for cuddles twice a day :) Though im sure he'll try his hardest to get on the floor as he does here :lol: I have to pay extra for heating for him :oops: Which of course i dont mind :D :D And she supplys everything :? Fingers crossed it will all work out ok :) Vets didnt know of anywhere else local as i asked this morning when he went for his Jabs xXx

It sounds like your taking him to the same place I take mine and to be honest the cages are quite big and grande looking and its always clean and the bunnies seem happy when I go there. Her own bunnies are free range in the garden. I'm taking mine back there for their second stay in 2 weeks and I know I can leave them and feel at ease. The 2 I send there aren't giants but they are used to a lot of free time out of hutches every day.

Back