• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Advice please

lauraocal

Warren Scout
My rabbit was speyed today and she is shivering still and really groggy.
My vet said to give her a few hours to start coming round but she hasn't yet at all and she seems cold.
Is this normal?

This is not good. Rabbits don't regulate their temperature after anaesthetic, so you need to do it for them. do you have a snuggle safe? Or Maybe an empty sock that you can put uncooked rice in and heat up? She needs something to help keep her warm, and quick.

Has she had pain meds?

Yeah they said enough to last 24 hours?
I'm putting her on setee in front of fire..will that be ok?
not too close obviously..will she be ok?

Does anyone know how to use the liquid feed they give you? there are no instructions?
Its supreme science recovery liquid feed in a sache in powder form?

She will need to be able to get away from the heat if necessary, so she doesn't overheat. I'm not sure if by the fire is sensible.

with the food I would suggest watering it down until you can easily get it out the syringe.

I personally never use those things though, I just tempt them and normally they eat that night by themselves which saves the stress of force feeding, but if you've been told to do it, you should follow that instruction.

I have got her on my knee on a pillow.. will I be able to keep her warm like that?
They only gave me the feed as I asked for it.. I was to give it to her tonight if she hasn't eaten anything.

I'm not sure your body will be warm enough. I would suggest putting her somewhere she can sleep but that she can have something warm to snuggle with if she wants, but can get away if she wants as well. Like in a hutch you can put the heated object in one corner, and she can then go to it if she wants, or away from it if she wants.

Maybe try her with her favourite fresh foods and things first before force feeding, because that will stress and already stressed bunny so always try the easiest options first.

She is feeling a little warmer now and is responding to noises.. she had a tiny drink but no food as yet.
She isnt up and around at all yet.
I have a supersoft nightgown on the radiator and she is on it on the floor, with it loosly round her.. i think its working as like i said she has perked up a bit?

I think my rabbit is in pain.. she wont lie down properly and i think she keeps weeing alot..she's still really drowsey too.
I called the emergency vets service but they said its going to cost £70 for the consultation plus anything else.. i dont have the money for it.
I knew i shouldn't have got this done.. what am i going to do?

First of all, don't panic. It's natural is is uncomfortable and drowsy. Mine normally don't do much for 24 hours or so afterwards.

You need to put her somewhere dark and keep her warm.

Do you have metacam for her for tomorrow?

If you are really worried, can anyone lend you the money?

she is in a lot of pain now, she did a poo too which seems to have started the pain.
I am stroking her constantly and she is responding to it and i think its comforting to her.
I have only got to get through to 8:30 with her and i can take her to the vets again.
I been on the floor with her most of the night and she keeps waking me up by putting her head under my hand, bless her.
I'm a little calmer now as I know i just need to do these next few hours and she'll get every painkiller they have.
I hope its injected though so she is instantly better.
I don't understand why they didn't give me any to give her.. they must know she was going to need some more?
will let you know how we get on later.. bye for now and wish bunny luck

She should need some pain killer, metacam for 3 to 4 days post-surgery.

The dosage (in ml) = weight in KG x 0.1 / 1.5

so say if your bun is 2 KG, then 2 x 0.1 / 1.5 = 0.13 ml

It's not the end of the world. She wouldn't be eating because she's in pain. As soon as you give her some metacam, things will move back to normal.

Metacam should be given when there is food inside her stomach. So if there is nothing inside her, get some food like (non-meat content) baby food inside her, then give it 15 min. and feed the metacam inside her.

Remember a spay is a invasive surgery, it does take a few days to fully remember. Some rabbit can get by without metacam, but they should be given metacam.

If the vet has given her painkiller to last 24 hrs then I doubt theyd give her anything else until the 24 hrs is up...after that time she could have metacam.

My bunnies have varied after spays ...some bounce straight back,others take a while,hope shes feeling better soon.

thanks for the advice, I will get some metacam..
My poor baby is in loads of pain, her teeth are grinding constantly and she keeps stretching out in a funny way. I cant believe they let me go without any pain releif for her, I am not meant to go back until tuesday!
only 30mins left to go now.. counting down the seconds ..

Hope she's OK and you can get some pain relief for her soon. I have found it much more nerve-wracking having girls spayed than boys neutered - boys seem to bounce back pretty quickly, whereas when Bella was done last year she worried me for about three days.

Let us know how you get on.

Did you get an appointment?

If you have a bunny spayed again (or actually have any sort of problem that could potentially cause pain) then you need to demand the pain killer because rabbits are not good with pain. Having said that, she shouldn't have been struggling so much, so early if the injection lasted 24 hours, so I'm wondering if somehow there is an internal problem?

Back