• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How deep....

We do no less than three, I think. The worry is the body being dug up, which would be awful.

Sorry you're grave digging :(

I'm not sure the actual depth, I have dug graves for mostly guineapigs in my time, but I would say at least 3 ft ? I would get as deep as you can go to be honest, otherwise (sorry to say this) but other animals can smellthem, like dogs and foxes and could dig them up. I would also suggest, after the bunny is buried, that over the fresh soil you place a large paving slab, rock or some wire netting...anything that stops animals digging in the soil for a few months. Sorry you are having to do this, it is a horrible experience isn't it.

Yes, i originally wanted to do 4, but it is so getting so hard to do, where the soil is so hard, can you like, use water to soften it :oops:

hi, not sure about the depth but when i had to bury my bunny in the garden i built a small box for her before i buried her in the garden, then planted some shrubs over the site.

You need to break the soil up if it is so compacted, I wouldn't get it wet - instead use a large foot fork and spend time pronging it into the bottom of the hole, stand on it and push it down, move it round and do it again, keep doing this until you break up the ground before using the spade to dig out. If it is that bad then maybe you should move to another part of the garden that is less compacted ?

We put our animals in plastic shoe boxes and duct tape around the lid. that helps reduce the smell so animals wont dig them up.

i do hamsters graves about 2 foot adn previous bun graves have been about 3ft. some people make boxes for their pets... i did the hasmters in cardboard ones except for one who i burried in his house. with rabbits in the past dad always made wooden coffins for them x

We have ours cremated and then bury the ashes, I would hate to think that if ever we move someone would dig them up:cry:

if you wet it, it's very hard to move, and they get heavier. I also agree 1 ft. is not enough. 3 to 4 ft. will do. I would use crow bar to break down the soil, and it should make it easier

I asked this the other day as we had to bury our hammie :( and were advised somewhere between 3-5 feet, lots of people recommended 5 foot. In the end we did 3 foot but managed to dig under a tree root so he is tucked in under that. There is a lavender bush on top. Sorry you have lost a bunny :cry:

BUt putting them in a plastic box isn't surely a good idea ? The body wouldn't decompse properly without the natural soil bacteria, rain water and so on acting on it. Cardboard, paper or wood are the best materials.

Back