• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Another Newbie Here!

attilathebun

Mama Doe
Hello everyone,

Gill & George here, we have recently acquired a young netherland dwarf doe and are hoping to match her up with a husbun from a local rescue. We bought her with her sister from a local pet shop but the sister died within 24 hours of us bringing her home. It was a dreadfully sad experience and we are still at a loss to know what it was. It happened on a Sunday and we called the emergency vets but she was gone before we even had chance to set out on the journey.

Thankfully our other girl is thriving so we are confident that it is nothing that we did wrong. We informed the pet shop but they weren't really interested (surprise surprise!)

Since then we have done a lot more research and oh how we wish we had gone to a rabbit rescue in the first place rather than a pet shop. We won't be making that same mistake again I can assure you.

We now also realise that our hutch is probably too small and will be upgrading to the unused shed which is at least 10ft by 6ft. We are in the process of converting it before our home check is done for the rescue bunny. We have lots of questions and I'm sure you will be able to give us some excellent advice and share the benefit of you experience with us.

In time I would like to think that we can repay in some little way by fostering some bunnies for local rescues or volunteering our services in some other useful way.

We have loved what we have read so far. It seems a fabulous community. A whole little world that we never knew existed out there. Best wishes to everyone. Gill & George xxx

Aw, welcome to the forum.

I'm so sorry about the bunny you lost, but it sounds like the bunny you have at the mo is spoilt rotten and you are both learning very fast to give her the very best you can, which is all anyone can do.

I look forward to seeing you around.

Take care

Tracy

Thats awful about your little bunny and I hope the other one doesn't miss her too much.

I've just got my first bunny too, he's called Flopsie, and I wish I'd gone down the rescue route too after reading about the differences. This forum is great and i'm sure you can get plenty of advice on anything bunny related :)

:wave:

Hi :wave: I am also a newbie, this site is wonderful I wish I had found it earlier!
One thing though.... PICS OF YOUR BABY!!!!:D

Hiya :wave: Welcome to RU xXx Sorry to hear about your bunny :( Sounds like your remaining bunny is going to be very spoilt :D :lol: Looking foward to piccies :D xXx

Thank you all for your lovely welcome. Yes our remaining girl is being spoilt rotten. She really is a cutie and settling in really well. We get lots of kisses and nose rubs but have learnt too late to remove wires from her reach (she bit through George's mobile phone charger in one quick bite when we were looking the other way!....thankfully it wasn't plugged in!). We now know better :roll:

She does look a little lonely at times in her hutch and in her play pen but hopefully a husbun won't be too long in coming. I will be getting the camera out this weekend (as I also want to take a photo diary of our bunny home building progress) so I will be able to let you see what our cutie looks like. I have to give her time to get her eyeliner on in the morning and then she is all set to go! You'll see what I mean when you see her. Take care everyone xxx

Hi & welcome to RU. So sorry to hear about your loss & glad you're considering getting a rescue bun as a companion to your remaining bun. This is definately the best site to find your buns perfect partner & get lots of helpful advice. Theres a gorgeous little male nethie who's been looking for a home for somme time. His name is Dale & you can see a pic of him on Rabbits In Need. Hes little cracker :D

Hi Kipper,

Dale does look gorgeous but I'm afraid that we have already committed to another rescue bunny pending a successful bonding.

You have set me wondering about the possibility of 3 (or 4 bunnies) but I think we need to learn to walk before we can run. OH would need convincing too but I'm sure that if accommodation and all other things are considered suitable for more than 2 bunnies then that's definitely a road I would consider going down.
Gill xxx

Hey!! :wave:

Sorry to hear abot one of your lil' girls binky free baby. And to you are your other baby girl welcome welcome welcome!

Loads of advice and help and all sort of bunny type stuff will be found on here...as well as a load of random innane pointless stuff that's lots of fun!!

Lisa and the buns x

Newbie - Pics added!

As promised here are a couple of photo's of our little nethie called Soozy.
She's 12 weeks old and just about to be introduced to some veg!

I haven't yet learnt how to post an individual pic so have posted the link to the photobox album. We started our shed conversion today and so I've also got a photo of the shed before any renovations have begun.

http://www.photobox.co.uk/album/72756664

Hope you like!

Last edited:
Back