• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Am I doing the right thing? Am really mad!

Emm-Jane76

Mama Doe
I have just started an adult education class about two weeks ago. Anyway, last night I was speaking to this lady about her pet rabbit. She knows that I am the 'rabbit lady' so she asked me if I wanted it. I was a little shocked but asked her the situation.

She told me she had got two rabbits from a 'sale' for her little boy. She does not know the age of these buns or the sex of them either :shock: One of them died a couple of months ago. It suddenly got thin despite still eating and died in quite a short space of time. Anyway the other one she says seems thin but is eating. It lives on it's own in a hutch outside and seems to be grieving and lonely. It doesn't even have a name :shock:

Now, whenever somebody draws my attention to a suffering bun I feel responsible and it sets my mind racing. I can't possibly have any more buns as I have enough with my four. I also can't afford another even though I'd love to - I HAVE TO BE SENSIBLE. But that doesn't stop me thinking about this poor bun. I am so angry at this lady - she just didn't have any idea. She says she doesn't even pick 'it' up as she doesn't like the feel of them :evil::shock: Anyway, I'm going to have to stop as I feel myself winding up :evil: !

I have given her the telephone number of an animal welfare trust that is just around the corner who I have said would be the best answer. Not the papers, or freecycle. I made her promise that she would ring and tried my best to convince her that that is the best course of action. I really hope she has rang them by next week. Have I done the right thing :cry: ?

Last edited:
I think if bun is showing symptoms of illness, you are doing the sensible thing by not risking your own buns:D

Yes :D
You've given her good advice that will help her & her rabbit. It is her responsibility whether she takes the advice. You've done all you sensibly can.

Certainly try to persuade her to give the bun to a rescue and not an individual. It sounds like the bun may have EC or something equally as unpleasant and it really needs to see a vet, not be passed onto someone else who dosn't know what they are doing. :(

Back