• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

My new rabbit hates me.....HELP!!!

Lexy7200

Young Bun
HI there,
I am brand new to this forum and need some help!! I got my new rabbit Fifi last sunday, she lived with her mummy outside before i got her she is now a house rabbit with a lovely cage and toys, however she seems to hate me and my partner!! I have left the cage door open since monday but she hasn't come out, she ignore's us when we talk to her, which i do alot as i don't work! she buries her head in the hay when we try to fuss her, she also plays dead bunny when ever you try to talk or touch her, by throwing herself on her side and not moving! She stamps her feet alot and genrally seems unhappy.
I know she is nervous and it takes a lot of reajustment for her but this just doesn't seem right she has been with us nearly a week now!!
PLEASE HELP WHAT CAN I DO???????
Thanks

I'd just leave her to settle in to her new home. She must be very scared and this is quite normal.

Is she eating and drinking okay?

Can you give her a cardboard box of little house that she can hide in? Sounds like she is just nervous and need some time. Try just sitting next to her and not trying to touch her, maybe read a book or magazine? I think she just needs to get used to the change, and giving her somewhere to hide might make her feel more secure

yeah we put a box in her cage, but she kicked it and sat the otherside of her cage! so we took it out!! i have put a blanket over one side of the cage!

Can you give her a cardboard box of little house that she can hide in? Sounds like she is just nervous and need some time. Try just sitting next to her and not trying to touch her, maybe read a book or magazine? I think she just needs to get used to the change, and giving her somewhere to hide might make her feel more secure

I definitely recommend sitting close by and ignoring her. Even if she comes to you don't be tempted to try and stroke her, let her sniff you and explore you, then she'll start to realise it's safe and you aren't going to hurt her and it will get easier. Bella didn't want to know me when I got her - she's still a very independent bunny who lets me love her on her terms, but she does happily come and sit with me now for strokes, but it did take quite a while. There's nothing like it when you realise they have started to trust you, but as naturally timid creatures, it can take some time.

Ted was like this still not sure if she's overlay fussed in me, some buns just take more convincing. just be patient and easy does it. could you lift her out somewhere like a hallway and allow her to explore you and get used to your smell. thats what i did with ted and petal.

I found leaving Flopsie in his cage where he could see us helped him calm down a bit. I've spent hours sitting on a cushion on the kitchen floor just reading and eventually his natural bunny curiosity has taken over. I've got miles to go with him yet (He's still not convinced i'm not going to eat him) but we're on our way.

Back