• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

oldie Rosie-posy

jackiestone

Warren Veteran
My dutch girl Rosie who I have had for 10 years weighed 1.99kg in July,today she weighs 1.69kg,she hasnt been spayed like my other girly because back then I didnt know how important that was,she eats well and drinks and is active,should the weight loss be a problem?
If I take her to the vets and he feels her tummy and thinks she may have uterine cancer,would she be in pain?As she looks so happy I couldnt have her put to sleep,but is that selfish of me?could she be in pain and not show it :cry:

Last edited:
The weight loss could just be old age. Maybe it might be worth giving her some foods to help her bulk up just in case it is that, however it could be an indication of a problem.

It is far better to take her to the vets and find out what the problem is. They won't make you do anything, and you will be in control. However, as an animal owner we have to do what is in their best interests, even if it isn't something we necessarily want.

If it is uterine cancer then they could give her painmeds and you could give her a marvellous time left, and then when she stops enjoying life you can then have her put to sleep, or you can take her away and think about what has been said and make a decision there, or you can discuss treatment with the vet, or get her put to sleep there and then. You are in control, and no one will force you to do something, so its just a case of you keeping in your mind what is best for your bun.

Ok, so it won't let me edit my post, but I don't know why. I was trying to write that uterine cancer is not the only possibility because spurs could be, or some sort of other pain. So it is always worth getting her checked out. Bunnies hide pain very well so she may not be showing it, so even if she acts happy she might be feeling not so happy inside.

My dutch girl Rosie who I have had for 10 years weighed 1.99kg in July,today she weighs 1.69kg,she hasnt been spayed like my other girly because back then I didnt know how important that was,she eats well and drinks and is active,should the weight loss be a problem?
If I take her to the vets and he feels her tummy and thinks she may have uterine cancer,would she be in pain?As she looks so happy I couldnt have her put to sleep,but is that selfish of me?could she be in pain and not show it :cry:

if she has got uterine cancer an emergancy sepy is a muct... otherwise it will spread cause pain and kill her. however this has a risk in older buns but not much different to younger ones if otherwise she is in good helath... jason burgess mums vet speyed sooty age 9years with no complications remeber if she could live till 14 then it is worth it.

Back