• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Advice about rehoming :( U/D :)

Vix

Alpha Buck
I may be leaving to go to university next year and if i do i will have to rehome one or both of my rabbits :cry:

The problem is i dont know whether to seperate them and keep my old bunny as he has lots of health problems, bad eyes/teeth and its difficult to keep weight on him, he also gets mucky bottom sometimes hes always to and fro from the vets. My female bunny is perfectly healthy just a little on the chubby side due to the fact i have to feed more because theyre bonded and if i dont the weight drops of the male.

Anyway which should i do rehome them together even though one of them needs a hell of a lot of tlc and vet treatment which i'm scared he might not recieve somewhere else or seperate them and rehome my female and bring my male inside as a lone housebunny which my mom has agreed to keep due to his age/health???

She won't keep both of them. Would really appreciate peoples opinions on this one please as its such a hard decision to rehome them at all and i dont know what to do for the best :?

Last edited:
I would be inclined to keep them together.
Am sure if this is what it came down someone could offer them a home. :)

Perhaps, in order to keep them together, you could offer to help any prospective adopter with a portion of cost of any future dentals required by the dental bun? I think it's vitally important for the poorly bun to be kept with his companaion if at all possible. What an awful decision for you to make. Vibes.

Obviously i want to do what is best for BOTH of my rabbits and i know deep down they are happiest when they are together, its just that with all his health problems which really i've never found the cause of its more been a case of treating the symptoms, how would i go about finding someone who doesn't mind having a bun thats guaranteed to cost them money in vets bills :?

(I would make as large a contribution as possible when rehoming my buns and in the future obviously i couldn't guarantee a set amount as i will no doubt be struggling with money at uni myself but whenever i could i would send contributions to whoever took them on as i know my wee man will cost a fair bit :()

Thankyou for all the replies so far it really is a horrible decision and i very nearly didn't even apply becayse of having to rehome them but after talking it through i decided it would be silly of me to throw away my future career, even if i do feel extremely selfish for rehoming them :oops::cry:

One healthy bonded partner isn't going to be any extra commitment in terms of ease to look after. It's your elderly lad that's going to be all the work. Does your mum realise quite how much because if she's not willing to do the second she may well find your chap that needs all the tlc is too much to do.

I wouldn't split either. That's a big stress and not something you want to do to a bunny not in tip top condition as it can make issues worse.

You might be able to find somewhere to live that will let you keep them. It would most likely have to be a private landlord however as most associations have strict rules. Most private landlords would allow you to keep outdoor rabbits since they won't mess up the inside of the house.

Yes my mom has taken care of my boy bunny while ive been away before syringing meds/giving eye drops/checking bums etc so she is fully prepared to do all of that for him even though shes not really a bunny person shes an animal lover and wouldn't want him going somewhere where he might not be looked after properly, she just doesn't want two bunnies and to be honest i think shes a bit scared of the other rabbit as she seems to have taken a disliking to her which is why she said she cant/won't keep both :(

So it looks like it will be a case of rehoming them both then :( Does anyone have any ideas on how i would go about finding a special home for them, would a sanctuary or something along those lines be better for them??? :?

two thibngs.. put them on rabbit rehome and rabit in need sectio non here. or contact your local rescue and ask for thier help pprehaps to save the rescue space they could stay with your mum until they found a new home as this would free up the hutch at a rescue?

I rented a house privately when I was at uni and they allowed me to have a rabbit there, isn't that an option? I think it would be sad for them to be rehomed if it can be worked round.

I rented a house privately when I was at uni and they allowed me to have a rabbit there, isn't that an option? I think it would be sad for them to be rehomed if it can be worked round.

good thinking another thing iv thought of is a long term fosterer so that while you are at uni the rabbits stay with them when you are home the rabbits live with you (ie long summers etc)and after uni you have them back... you pay for the rabbits ideally but im sure you could work something out that you pay a lump sum now and then contribute to their care for example (i am not offering to do it jsut saying how i would personally view it) fosterer could pay bedding and food etc if they already have abun then this wont be much and contributions to vet care say 70% could be made by yourself or your mum if she was wiling to do it for the unwell bun? maybe this coudl work for you?

I wouldn't split them - is your female spayed? If she isn't it might make her easier to handle for your mum.

Hmmm thanks for the suggestions it has given me lots to think about, i will definitely look into whether i could afford to privately rent and keep the bunnies :) and also will be working on my mom as she has said she feels guilty because like me she doesn't really like the idea of rehoming animals (we've never had to before) so she may end up saying she will keep them both yet, might be wishful thinking on my part though :?

If not then i will list them on rabbit rehome or try and contact a rescue to help with homechecks or something maybe if i made a donation they wouldn't mind :oops:

Long term fostering is a good idea but it would be at least three years and whilst i could have them back in holidays i don't think its really fair to be shifting them from one place to the next for 3 years :(

Angie- no my girly bun isn't spayed which i know is probably why shes so funny with my mom, ive always been scared to have it done in case something went wrong but as i would give a donation to any rescue that took her on to have this done its really no different from me just taking the risk myself i guess so definitely something to discuss if there is a chance of them staying here :)

Last edited:
:wave: Just to update anyone thats interested, my mom has agreed to try and keep the buns, im getting my female bun spayed sometime this week and bringing them both indoors so hopefully if she calms down then everything will be fine :)

Once im down there i will look into privately renting so that sometime in the future the buns can come live with me wherever i am :D

:wave: Just to update anyone thats interested, my mom has agreed to try and keep the buns, im getting my female bun spayed sometime this week and bringing them both indoors so hopefully if she calms down then everything will be fine :)

Once im down there i will look into privately renting so that sometime in the future the buns can come live with me wherever i am :D

Thats great news! She wont calm down immediately - you have to give her time :) Really glad your mum may be keeping them, it'd be unfair to split them :? Let us know how your bunny gets on with her spay xXx

Back