• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Swollen Jaw- UD it has burst with homeopathic rems!

pickles

Warren Scout
Hey!
Well... bit of an update. I took my bunny to vets and went with the op. However, the results are a bit undecided.

It's not an abscess as initially told. It's not his teeth. As they're fine too. It's not a cyst as no fluid came out when it was lanced as would be expected.

They did an xray and it's not anything to do with the bone formation.

So... basically, they have no idea! In order to investigate it would require cutting through the muscle of the jaw which has dodgy consequences and may mean he'll not be able to eat etc as it often doesn't reconnect properly.

Has anyone else had this with one of their bunny's? It's all a bit peculiar and I feel they're just clutching at straws. They said it might be a swollen muscle but that doesn't seem quite right either...

Last edited:
I am a bit confused as I dont know how the problem initially presented.
Is the swelling causing your Bun any pain? Where abouts on the jaw is the swelling?

Sorry... I initially posted as I was trying to treat the (what I was told was an) abscess with homeopathy and when it didn't work- as it wasn't an abscess. I went back to the vet.

It's along his cheek and jaw on one side. Quite a big swelling. Few cms. But he doens't seem to be in any pain.

Is the swelling staying the same size or getting bigger.
What did the Vet say was seen on the Xray?

Can you post a pic of your Buns face to show the swelling?

Is your Bun on an anti-inflammatory to see if that helps bring the swelling down ?

I would discuss again with the Vet what his/her thoughts are and given that the swelling is apparently not bothering your Rabbit what would be the benefits of more invasive investigations ?
Personally I would not want to go down that route unless absolutely essential/last resort given the risks your Vet has said are involved.

Hi there,
Well it's been a wee while now and my rabbits swelling doesn't seem to have gone down any. We gave the meds as the vet said and they seemed a bit unsure what it was... not very helpful! It wasn't his teeth. Wasn't a cyst- or worse.

He's still eating and not dribbling like he was before we took him first time. He's also quite happy, not hiding etc which he was doing last time. But I'm really getting worried incase it's still growing

I just really hope someone has experienced something similar as I kinda feel if I knew what it was it would be easier to know what to do..

DSC00175.jpg
[/IMG]

Good grief :shock:

I had a Bun with a similar swelling. It turned out to be a Fibrosarcoma :cry:

I would strongly advise you to consult a Rabbit Savvy Vet and I suspect a Biopsy may be in order.

The xray showed it wasn't cancerous as it wasn't dark which is how it normally presents itsself...apparently.

Will it just keep getting larger then if it were such a things?

Thanks for the info! The vets were pretty sure it wasn't as it would have shown up on the xray but I will look into finding another vet

Where do you live hun as it looks like something is going on with your beautiful buns face that needs attention ASAP.

I live up North of Scotland. Thing is I think even if they did say it was a cancerous lump they didn't want to operate as it would mean cutting through the jaw muscles and mean he might not be able to eat.

They're both lying so cosy together just now. Hope it's nothing too horrid :(

Sending your beautiful bun mega vibes, por bun i really hope someone can get to the bottom of this, please keep us posted.Deb.x

I really hope that something can be done for your beautiful bunny.sending massive healing vibes.PS Halfpenny who is on this forum lives in Scotland I dont know If she is anywhere near you but she has a very good vet who may be able to help you.

Last edited:
Why not ask your vet to contact the Rabbic Clinic at Bristol Vet Hospital, with all the results of your investigations, and ask them for their advice?

My rabbit had a similar thing a few years back. Turned out to be a dental absess and he had to have it cut and anti-biotic put into it every day.

Sorry... I initially posted as I was trying to treat the (what I was told was an) abscess with homeopathy and when it didn't work- as it wasn't an abscess. I went back to the vet.

It's along his cheek and jaw on one side. Quite a big swelling. Few cms. But he doens't seem to be in any pain.

my little girl moo has had a lump on her jaw below her ear.my old vets thought it was an abcess but then i changed vets as i am extremely fortunate to live in the same town as frances harcourt-brown's surgery.mrs h-b found it was a wax build up in her ear canal which resulted in her opening up the ear permanantly so that i can remove any build up.not sure if this is any help to you at all but i hope your bun is better soon.x

sorry posted that before i saw the pic of your little ones face.little moo's swelling was only the size of a walnut-mind you it would have got infected and swollen more had it not been treated so fingers crossed your bunny will be ok,however i agree with every one else-i think you need a 2nd opinion A.S.A.P
rabbits are not very good at letting us know when they are in pain,so sometimes they are suffering more than it would appear.good luck,love+cuddles to your beautiful bunny

Glasgow and Edinburgh Universities both have Exotics Vets thete that can do what needs to be done (eg biopsy/opening up lesion). Your main differentials are: Abscess, Cyst (eg from salivary glands), tumour, haematoma. The Radiograph cannot differentiate between these, or tell if a lump is cancerous. Only opening the lesion can do that and the sooner you get it done the better
goodluck. An ultrasound scan will tell you if it is full of fluid/pus or solid
Goodluck

Glasgow and Edinburgh Universities both have Exotics Vets thete that can do what needs to be done (eg biopsy/opening up lesion). Your main differentials are: Abscess, Cyst (eg from salivary glands), tumour, haematoma. The Radiograph cannot differentiate between these, or tell if a lump is cancerous. Only opening the lesion can do that and the sooner you get it done the better
goodluck. An ultrasound scan will tell you if it is full of fluid/pus or solid
Goodluck

:wave: You would need your vet to refer you to either of the universities. Edinburgh have more experience with rabbits. Send me a pm if you decide to go to Edinburgh and i'll get directions for you (it's murder to find)

Thanks everyone!
Edinburgh's a bit far for me... I'm way up north!!!
Whatever it is is underneath the muscle and they weren't happy to cut through the muscle to find out as it might mean he'll never be able to eat again.

I really need to find out what is under/ intertwined with muscles.

I'm wondering now if it could be a swollen gland or similar?

Back